Chapter 106

As Kim walked into the Oval Office, with Adam and Mr Bischoff behind her, she set eyes on the President for the first time in person. Stephanie McMahon was wearing an expensive red dress, along with an even more expensive necklace, and an even more expensive watch. Tall, with long dark hair, she was very good-looking for a woman in her late forties. She cut an imposing figure that her status only emphasised. For Kim, that was where the admiration ended. She disagreed with pretty much everything the woman she was about to shake hands with stood for, and hadn't even considered voting for her in the election that had narrowly put her in the White House for her first, and hopefully only, term of office.

"Officer Kimberly Burgess, and her partner Adam Ruzik, Madam President," Bischoff announced.

Close enough, Kim thought with some annoyance. Meeting her in front of the world's most famous desk, McMahon offered her hand. Kim allowed her to speak first, as was apparently the correct protocol.

"Officer Burgess. Is it Kimberly or Kim?"

"I prefer Kim, Madam President," Burgess said, accepting the handshake, finding a hand that was as cold as the woman it belonged to, at least in her opinion. The smile seemed genuine though, and not quite as evil as it was made to look on some of propaganda memes.

"Kim," McMahon accepted. "Nice to meet you. And Adam." She offered another handshake.

"Madam President," Adam said with formality that didn't come particularly naturally to him. Kim could detect a hint of awkward stiffness in his voice that probably escaped their host, who of course didn't know his subtleties.

"Shall we sit?" McMahon said, motioning them to one of the two couches.

I'd rather not, Kim thought, but she well knew that it hadn't actually been a question.

"Kim, I want to thank you for your service, and your bravery," McMahon said once they were seated.

"No need to thank me, ma'am. I'm happy to serve, and I don't see what I did that night as particularly brave."

"Really?" McMahon said, seeming surprised, but not in a negative way. "I'd say taking out two whack jobs armed with assault rifles with a handgun is pretty brave."

It might not have to happen again if you did something about gun control laws, Kim thought. It was just one area where she disagreed with this Republican President, who had pictures of herself on her Instagram account firing an assault rifle and harping on in her caption about second amendment rights.

"I guess you could look at it that way," she admitted politely. "Honestly? I feel like I did my job, and I'm not sure that should be rewarded with medals. At least not in my case. I'm sure those other guys waiting outside are deserving."

McMahon took a second to consider that. She apparently hadn't considered someone coming to get a medal not actually wanting it. "Hmm. Nonetheless, you have set an excellent example to fellow officers, and to potential future officers too. That should be recognised."

Of course, got to get that publicity, Kim thought.

"Tell me, Kim, you're out of Chicago, right? How many women police officers are there in your precinct?"

That came from left field for Kim, who stumbled over her answer. "Uh, I'm not sure. We have some. I mean, the unit I work in has several. Our sergeant is female too, as is our tech expert. Apart from those two, the team is three guys and three women."

McMahon nodded in appreciation. "Oh, that's good. Very good. The reason I ask is the recruit figures for cops across the country for the past year are concerning, and the number of women joining up is particularly low."