Chapter 99

Inside, Jay felt like a man possessed, yet outwardly he had to act like there was nothing more remarkable about the day than a return to working regular shifts, starting out of the bullpen.

Lindsay had started the shift by thanking the whole team for their perseverance during the protection assignment, which no one had enjoyed. The next item on the agenda was Burgess's date to visit the White House, which was a couple of months away. Burgess didn't look impressed with the news. Lindsay then moved on to a briefing, before dismissing them to go about their work.

"How's Z?" Lindsay asked Gonzalez once the briefing was done.

"She's improving, slowly. She's in less pain while she's resting, but moving around still hurts her a lot. It's going to be some time until she can think about coming back to work."

"She needs to worry about her recovery, that's what matters," Lindsay said kindly. The popular team member's brush with death had affected them all, and her absence continued to do so. But they all knew Vega would fully recover. The phrase what doesn't kill you makes you stronger definitely applied to people with her kind of determination in their character.

"Thanks, boss. I'll tell her you said that," Gonzalez promised.

Halstead got up from his desk. "Need to go see a CI. He messaged me twice wanting a meet while we were on the Martinez thing," he lied. "Purrazzo will come with me."

His partner got up without question and took her coat off the back of her chair.

"Okay, let me know if you get anything worth using," Lindsay said.

Halstead nodded. "Will do." He felt bad about lying to her, but on this occasion it was worth it.

Shortly, he and Purrazzo were outside, approaching his car. She made a show of grimacing while she put on her leather gloves. "We really couldn't stay inside in the warm?"

"The car will be warm soon. Whining about the weather doesn't seem like a very Marine thing to do."

She ignored that one as they got into the car. "Who are we going to see?"

"We're not. I need your help with something. Or, I should say, your advice."

"My advice? What could you need my advice about?" she asked, looking at him in some surprise.

"Engagement rings," he said as he pulled the car out of the lot, with the air con on and set to blow hot.

"Engagement rings? Oh, shoot! You're going to propose to Sergeant Lindsay! I'm hyped!"

Halstead chuckled. "I'm hyped too. And I've picked out a ring. But I want to know what you think of it before I buy it."

"Oh. I wish you'd have said something sooner. Sylvie would have been much better for this than me. I'd have asked her to meet us."

"It's fine, I'm sure you have more of an idea on women's jewellery than I do. I just want you to look at it and tell me if you think Erin will like it, and if it will look good on her."

"Fair enough, I can do that," Purrazzo said. After a moment of silence, she changed the subject. "Kim didn't look very happy about going to the White House. She should be honoured that her bravery is being recognised at such a high level. The highest level."

"Kim doesn't want recognition. She's not that kind of person. And besides, that night was horrific for her. She had to go to therapy because of it. The last thing she needs to be doing is reliving it. But of course the department don't see that. They see some good publicity, so they want to make sure they get it."