Chapter 127

After receiving a text from Raquel saying that she was waiting for him in the hospital's main parking lot, Jay had said goodbye to Henry and Erin and headed out to meet her. In a way it seemed a bit odd, but he felt a lot closer to Raquel as a friend and a partner after being invited to her apartment and sharing dinner with her and Zelina. Small things could make a big difference. He felt happy at the thought of seeing her for the first time since the most wonderful thing in his life had happened – the birth of his son.

The silver mustang wasn't exactly difficult to locate in the lot, so Jay headed straight for it when he came out of the hospital's main entrance. Raquel was standing outside of the car drinking a bottle of mineral water while looking at her phone. She didn't notice him approaching.

"Water, huh? You're pushing the boat out," he said in a lame attempt at humour.

"Hey. Been thirsty all morning. Think I pushed myself a bit hard in the gym before work. Anyway, let's talk about Henry. I'm so happy for you. Tell me about him."

"He's amazing, Raquel. The most handsome baby. He's already got some hair, and he's got Er's mouth for sure. She thinks he has my nose."

"Aw, I can't wait to meet him," she said with a smile.

"You should have come in."

"I'm not sure I'm ready to walk in on my boss while she's in a hospital bed with a newborn," Raquel said.

Jay could understand that. It was easy for him to forget at times that to most, if not all of the team, Erin was a boss much more than a friend. It was sad in his opinion, but it was nonetheless a fact. "Right. Well, you can come see him once they're both home. I actually have a son and a daughter, Raquel. It's not really hit me yet. I'm just... blessed."

"Your kids are the ones who are blessed. They're lucky to have such a great guy for a dad."

"Thank you," he said, giving her a hug. And then he felt himself tearing up as emotions started to hit him. He did his best for Erin, for Clem, for his friends, and would do so for Henry. It meant a lot to have someone acknowledge that, and it had pushed him over the edge in the already emotional state he was in. He backed out of the hug and tried his best to discreetly wipe his eyes. Predictably, she knew exactly what was happening.

"Oh, bless you," Raquel said with a tenderness that belied her appearance. "It's amazing to see you so happy. One day, I hope I can be as good at that stuff as you."

"That stuff?" Jay said as he regained his composure. "You mean family stuff? You already have a fiancée, Raquel. You're not doing so bad. Or do you mean you want kids one day?"

"I don't know," she said frankly. "I just want a normal life. Although things are great, it's all still new to me and part of me expects to fuck it all up at any moment. Z has said I need to simply live day to day and be happy."

"And stop overthinking things," Jay added. "She's right. But I can understand why you don't find it all that easy. It'll come with time."

"I hope so," Raquel said with a hopeful smile. "Right, let me drive you home."

They got into her car and she fired up the powerful engine. "Oh, get a load of this shit," she said, unlocking her phone and handing it to him.

He took it and saw that an article from a Chicago news site was open. It bore the headline 'President McMahon endorses Bayley Martinez in Illinois gubernatorial race'.

"Are you serious right now?" he asked Raquel.

"Watch the video," she replied as she pulled out of the parking lot.