Chapter 117

Stepping out of his car after parking on the intersection near what was left of the 21st, Halstead saw that Gonzalez wasn't the only one to show up before him. Burgess was also there. The two women were standing there watching on, as were several other cops. Paramedics were assembled closer to the wreckage, while firefighters were doing the job of digging through it to try and find people who might be alive under the rubble.

"I can't believe it," he said as he approached his two colleagues.

"Oh, Jay," Gonzalez said as she and Burgess turned to him. "Awful, isn't it? They won't let us help. They're only allowing firefighters to do it."

"I guess it's not safe," Burgess said. "God, I hope no one is hurt. Pretty safe bet that some people will be though."

For sure, Halstead thought. "Has anyone heard from Purrazzo or Atwater? I assume Ruze and Z are okay?"

"Yeah, Z is fine," Gonzalez said. "I told her not to come down though because she's obviously not police yet and they'd probably get twitchy about letting her into a scene like this. Plus, to be honest, I didn't want her somewhere that might be dangerous."

"Yes, I had Erin stay home for the same reason. She wanted to come, but it's no place for a pregnant woman."

"Adam had to stay home with Alex," Burgess said. "He was bathing him when the quake happened, so we decided he would be the one to stay with him. I guess that puts you in charge, Jay. What do we do?"

That caught Halstead a little off guard. "Uh, well they're not letting us help here. Let's go find somewhere where we can be useful." The sound of his phone ringing in his pocket came as a pleasant surprise. "Oh, the phones are back."

Burgess and Gonzalez took out their phones. Burgess reported that she still didn't have service, but Gonzalez did. Meanwhile, Halstead saw Purrazzo's name on his screen.

"Purrazzo. You okay?" he asked upon answering the call.

"Yeah, I'm okay? How are you and Erin? And Clem?"

"We're all okay. Where are you?"

"Near our place. Sylvie and I are helping some injured people. Just wanted to check in, in case the team are gathering. Thought you should know why I'm not there."

"No problem, you're helping people and that's what matters. I do have some bad news though," Halstead reported.

"Oh? Don't tell me someone we know is hurt?"

"Not that I know of. But the 21st took the quake bad. In fact it has pretty much collapsed. I'm there now with Gonzalez and Burgess. They've got firefighters digging through the rubble looking for injured people." And dead ones, he didn't need to add.

"Shit," Purrazzo said under her breath. "Well, stay safe, Jay. Sylvie needs me. I'll talk to you later."

"Yeah, stay safe," he replied, but the call was already ended. "Purrazzo and Sylvie are okay," he announced to the two women standing with him. "They're helping some people who were hurt near their place."

"That leaves only Kev unaccounted for," Burgess said with evident concern.

"I'm right here," Atwater said, approaching from behind them. "Holy shit, what a mess."

"Kev, glad to see you," Halstead said, and the two men shook hands. "That's everyone from Intelligence through this thing okay. The 21st, not so much."

"I can see that," Atwater said as he hugged Burgess. Gonzalez just nodded to him. Affection wasn't her thing, unless it was her fiancée on the receiving end. "They're not letting cops help?"