Chapter 58

In a back room at Integrity Auto there was a large wooden boardroom-style table with the MC's logo etched into it. The logo was a rather nasty-looking woman holding a baseball bat. Currently, the five members were at the table, with Ruby Riot at the head in her role as President. The reason they were there was that 'Victoria Fernandez's' work on the bikes had passed inspection, as had the first impression she had made with them all.

"All those in favour of Victoria Fernandez becoming a Prospect Rioter," Riot said. Her vote was first. "Yes."

"Yes," Sarah Logan said.

"Yeah," Liv Morgan said.

Dakota Crowley nodded. "Yeah."

"Yes," Shayna Baszler said.

It came back to Riot. "Unanimous. It passes." She looked at Morgan. "Get her in here."

Morgan got up and left without a word.

"You know I'm going to have to fight her," Baszler said, meaning the new recruit.

"You want to fight her? Go ahead. I'll book your fucking funeral," Riot said, and the others laughed at Baszler. "She'll knock your head clean off your shoulders."

Baszler gave a derogatory snort. "Please. So she's a bit taller than me and she works out. Who gives a shit? It's not like she's one of those hideous-looking bodybuilders or something. She's not massive, she's just built. Hey, I'm pretty much in as good shape as she is."

"It's not the size of her arms I'm talking about," Riot said. "I get a read on people when I meet them. That bitch can look after herself. She will do you some serious damage. That's why I gave her an easy task to get her Prospect vote. I like the look of her."

"She ain't going to do me damage," Baszler insisted.

"Only one way to find out," Logan said, obviously liking the idea of the fight.

A few minutes later, Gonzalez walked into the room behind Liv Morgan. It was quite an intimidating situation to walk into, and she made sure not to hide what she felt. It was a perfectly natural response for Victoria Fernandez to have.

"Sit down," Riot ordered, pointing to one of the empty chairs.

Gonzalez did as she was told. All eyes were on her, and there was not a friendly expression in sight. She got the impression that she might have been rejected, which would be a great source of embarrassment for her when she reported back to Sergeant Lindsay.

"We've voted on you coming in as a Prospect," Riot said. "And I've got some bad news for you."

Gonzalez kept her mouth shut.

"The bad news is, Shayna here wants to fight you. The good news is, you were unanimously voted in. You're a Rioter now."

Suddenly the hostile expressions vanished. It had been a ruse. The members started cheering and banging the table in celebration. Gonzalez smiled happily and started thanking everyone.

After a moment, Riot produced a leather cut and put it on the table. It had a 'Prospect' badge sewn onto it. "Don't know if this will fit you. Might need a bigger one."

Gonzalez took it and tried it on. It was a bit too small.

"We'll get you a bigger one tomorrow," Riot said. "Now, you never ride, or walk into this place or Lynch's, without that cut on. And no one ever takes it from you. You die before you let that happen. Understood?"

"Understood," Gonzalez said seriously. "I do have a question. Do I really have to fight Baszler?"

"Fucking right you do," Baszler said. "We're going outside right now."