Chapter 119

That night, Kevin Atwater found himself standing in the office at Bayley Martinez's house. Part of now being her official unofficial partner was that he sometimes had to do a bit of security work. This was one such occasion. Rodrigo, her right-hand man, was also in the room for the same purpose. The security was necessary because Martinez was allowing visitors to come in, specifically people from the Mexican community who had been affected by the earthquake.

The latest was a little old lady, who looked so poor that the beaten-up clothes she wore might be the only ones she owned. She came in nervously, babbling away in Spanish, basically grovelling to Martinez. In a way it made Atwater feel uncomfortable, but in another way it was a turn on that his girl was seen as so powerful by people.

Martinez stood up and came around her desk. Atwater wondered if the woman was going to kiss her hand like something out of The Godfather, but she didn't. She carried on babbling though as Martinez greeted her and encouraged her to take a seat in front of the desk. Martinez returned to her own chair, an expensive leather office one that had been custom made to fit her.

"Stop," Martinez said in English, silencing the grovelling at last. "You can stop all that now. Tell me why you're here, and talk in English if you can."

Atwater suspected the latter instruction was mostly for his benefit. He was starting to pick up some Spanish, but he wasn't good enough to follow a conversation as yet, especially not one that was conducted at that kind of pace.

The woman, speaking in surprisingly good English, went on to explain that the earthquake had knocked over a candle in her house, and ended up starting a fire. The fire had been put out before consuming the entire house, but not before all of the furniture in her living room had been destroyed, either by the flames or the smoke.

"My brother knew your father, so I was hoping you might be able to help me. I have no income and no way to replace what I have lost," the woman begged.

"A lot of people knew my father, Gabriela. A lot of people know me."

"Yes, Ms Martinez. But word got out that you were helping people today. Although I have never been able to do anything for you, I hoped that you would do this kindness for me. I would forever be in your debt. Maybe my sons can do something for you one day? They are big, strong boys. I'm sure they could be useful."

"Maybe they could. Maybe one day they will," Martinez said thoughtfully. She came to a decision and reached into one of her desk drawers. Her hand came out holding a stack of money with elastic bands around it. She tossed it onto the table. "That's ten grand. Make sure you remember who looked after you today."

"Yes, Ms Martinez. Thank you, Ms Martinez." The woman started lavishing more platitudes on her in Spanish. To mercifully bring it all to an end, Martinez got up and walked her to the door.

"Rodrigo will show you out. Keep that money hidden until you get home or someone will give you a tap on the head and take it from you."

"Yes, Ms Martinez, I will. Thank you. Thank you so much."

Rodrigo showed the woman out of the office and closed the door behind him. With that, Martinez turned to Atwater. "The Mexican community love me."

Atwater was tempted to say they weren't the only ones, but their relationship wasn't quite at that point yet. He felt it, but it wasn't time to say so. Damn, she looked hot, he thought. The expensive suits she wore, like today's grey one with a white shirt and a black tie, always impressed him. And she always had a nice watch on too, often the silver diver's watch that she was wearing today. Her power was also like an aphrodisiac for him. He was dating an actual mob boss, albeit one that had gone legit insomuch as she was now an FBI and CPD informant.