Chapter 24

"Three thigh bones?" Erin Lindsay asked with surprise. Sitting at her desk in her office, she was on the phone with Deonna Purrazzo, Jay Halstead assumed, overhearing from his desk. Three thigh bones was huge surprise. The forensics team had found not one body, but two.

"Very well, Purrazzo. Looks like it's time for another chat with Mr Layfield," Lindsay said in the office. A moment later she walked out into the main Intelligence room, having ended the call. Halstead, Olinsky and Ruzek were the only ones there. Burgess and Atwater were currently in an interview with Jillian Layfield.

"That was Purrazzo on the phone," Lindsay announced. "The forensics team have found three bones so far. They're all thigh bones, so we have two bodies on our hands."

"Carla's friend," was Olinsky's immediate guess based on the story they had gotten from Layfield regarding his daughter's murder.

"Quite possibly. The first thing we need is an amendment to the warrant to dig up the rest of that garden. If there are two bodies there, it's possible there are more. And we need to speak to John Layfield again. Al, you and I will handle that."

Halstead wasn't surprised at all that now that the case was getting so serious the sergeant wanted to handle the interview personally, and have her most experienced man with her. At least he would be able to observe.

"I also need to update Child Services, and they're going to have to break the news to the girls that we've found their sister's body," Lindsay said. "Although I guess they already know, or at least suspect she's dead. That's how we came onto this case to begin with after all. I want the oldest surviving daughter, Gemma, interviewed. Jay, you're going to handle that, and you can take Kim with you when she's finished with Jillian since Purrazzo is going to be at the house all day."

"Anything you want me to do, boss?" Ruzek said a little pointedly. Being left out or assigned duties last was something of a recurring theme for him since Lindsay had taken charge of the unit and they had butted heads over the reinstatement of Burgess. He had gotten the outcome he had wanted on that, but still resided in the boss's bad books as a result.

"Uh, yeah. Get over to the Layfield's address and start talking to the neighbours. Let's find out what kind of people they appear to be to those around them. I want work colleagues spoken to as well."

"Got it," Ruzek said, rising from his chair.

Half an hour later, Halstead watched Sergeant Lindsay lead Olinsky into an interview room. John Layfield and his lawyer were already sitting at the table.

"Look how relaxed he looks," Kim Burgess said. She was standing next to Halstead, both watching proceedings through the two-way mirror.

"I bet he won't in a minute," Halstead said, knowing that Lindsay was about to drop the bomb that they had found a second body. "How did you get on with Jillian?"

"We didn't, really. She's continuing to flatly deny knowing anything about any kind of crime happening at her house. That's not going to fly forever though, especially now this has come out."

Indeed, Halstead thought.

In the interview room, Lindsay was going through the formalities of introducing herself and Olinsky for the benefit of the video recording of the interview. She then reminded Layfield that he was under arrest, and of his rights.

"Now, John, we've made a discovery in your garden. We have located human bones in the location you indicated on our visit there this morning. Specifically, we have found three thigh bones. That means there are at least two bodies in that garden. Because of that discovery we're going to dig up every single inch of it, so if there's anything you want to tell me, now is going to be your best time to do it."