Chapter 140

When Kevin Atwater got home, for he called Bayley Martinez's house home these days, he found that she was already there. It wasn't much of a surprise because he had been out drinking all afternoon, and into the evening. In the end Stella Kidd had practically forced him into a taxi, after refusing to serve him with any more drinks.

"Where have you been? I called you a few times," Bayley said, getting off the couch and walking over to him. "You've been drinking," she realised, seeing it as much as smelling it on him.

"Lindsay fired me," he announced.

"Oh, Kev," she sympathised, hugging him tightly. "The stupid bitch. You must have told her I had nothing to do with Rodrigo's death? Shit, I'm angrier about it than she is."

"Yes, I told her. Either she didn't believe me or she didn't care. I think she fired me just because she hates you to be honest."

"We did talk about this," she said regretfully as they parted. "Lindsay is a vengeful person, I can tell. Maybe we should have broken things off before she returned from maternity?"

"What? Hell no," Kevin said. "I did nothing wrong, and neither did you. Our relationship never had anything to do with me being a cop and you being previously on the other side of the law. You never asked anything about a single case, and I never told you anything about one. And I told Lindsay that too."

Bayley grunted derisively. "She just couldn't get past her hatred for me. Stupid bitch. That's awful leadership, too. Hey, do you think you can appeal the decision somehow?"

"No," he said dismissively. "If I tried, she'd just bring up me dating you, spinning some bullshit about being unprofessional and possibly compromised. Anyway, I've decided I'm done with the police. I'm going to quit tomorrow."

"You're drunk," Bayley said as she sat down on the couch that they usually occupied together. She sounded dismissive of the decision he claimed to have made.

"No," he said, flopping down next to her. "Well, yes. But I made my mind up on that before I was drunk. I'm quitting tomorrow, and I don't even feel bad about it."

"Good for you," she said supportively, putting a hand on his leg. "After the way you've been treated, I don't blame you at all. Don't worry, we'll talk about what kind of work you'd like to get into, and I'll hook you up with something that pays a lot more than police work."

"Thanks, Bay," he said, giving her a kiss on the lips.

"Of course. Anything for my man."

-----

Putting the firing of Atwater and the rock bottom morale of Intelligence aside wasn't easy, but Jay was trying his best to do that the next morning. He knew that Erin was fighting the same battle, for this morning was supposed to be a wholesome family moment. In fact it would be a wholesome family moment, they just had to be able to enjoy it.

They were taking Clementine to the sports store where they would be able to buy wrestling attire for her, and they had brought Henry out for the trip. So far, Clem only knew that they were going on a shopping trip. She didn't know where to or why. The surprise was going to be the highlight of the morning.

Not knowing what was about to happen, Clementine was busy talking to Erin about players that the Cubs were interested in signing for the coming baseball season. In summary, she wasn't exactly enthusiastic about them.

"Okay, first stop is here today," Jay said, killing the engine and looking out of his window at the sports store.

Clementine was sitting behind him, so she looked out also. "Crawford Sports? What are we going there for?" It was a new store for everyone in the family, and the sign didn't elaborate on what they offered.