Chapter 96

It was nearly 7am when Jay got home from his night shift at the safe house. He had been able to nap a bit, but he still felt very tired. When he walked into the apartment, there was no one in the living area. He knew that Clementine would be up by now, getting ready for school. Erin would either be getting ready for work or eating breakfast.

He stepped into the kitchen and found nobody at the table, but Kayla was in there brewing coffee and cooking some pancakes and eggs.

"Morning, Kayla," he said, and she turned around in surprise.

"Oh, hey. I didn't hear you come in. How are you?"

"Night shifts suck, but other than that I'm good. You?"

"Yes, good thank you," Kayla said, cheerfully. Her ability to be bright and full of energy so early in the morning was one of many things that made her a good nanny. "Erin said you'd be home around breakfast time, so I'm making enough for you to join us."

"You're the best, Kayla," he said with a smile.

"Remember that at the end of the year, when it's time to give me a christmas bonus," she said, and they both laughed. "Hey, do you know what happened to the gloves I use for washing dishes? I was going to wash these few just now, but I can't find them."

Oh god, don't look embarrassed, Jay told himself. He knew exactly where the rubber gloves where. They were in the bedroom, where Erin had used them to give him one of the best hand jobs of his life. "No idea," he lied. "I assume Erin used them for something. Maybe she ruined them and had to throw them out?"

"Maybe," Kayla shrugged. "I'll get some new ones when I go to the store later. Is there anything you need?"

"Not that I can think of, but thanks. I'm going to go find Erin."

"Okay. About five minutes for breakfast."

"Sounds good." He walked away, feeling pretty confident that he hadn't shown any embarrassment. Even if he had, he figured Kayla would have struggled to understand the reason for it.

When he got to the bedroom, the door was closed. He opened it and found Erin standing in front of the mirror, appraising herself in full dress uniform. He found the sight truly jaw-dropping. She always looked incredible in uniform. Today, somehow, she looked hotter than ever. "Sergeant Lindsay," he said, saluting her.

"Don't be an idiot," she chuckled, looking at him in the mirror with that wide, beautiful smile of hers on display. "Do I look okay?"

He entered the room and closed the door. "Okay? You look incredible. No one wears a uniform better than you."

"I'm not sure about that, but thank you." She stepped up to him and they kissed, long and full.

"Mmmm, I could go for a lot more of that right now," Jay said when the kiss was over.

"No time unfortunately. I've got to get to work. There's a parade today for the officers killed by Styles, and I'm on it. That's why I'm wearing the uniform."

"I bet there will a few people wanting to shake your hand for putting him down."

"Yes, I expect there will," she said without much emotion in her voice. "So, I'm not going to be able to hang around for breakfast. I'll grab something on the way in."

"That's a shame. Kayla's making pancakes. Oh, she wanted to know where the rubber gloves went from the kitchen."

"Oh no," Erin grinned, her cheeks turning slightly pink. "What did you say?"

"Ask Erin."

She playfully slapped him in the chest. "Now I'm going to have to lie. Unless you want me to tell her the truth?"