Chapter 75

Wednesday afternoon, Erin was curled up on the couch, looking through the applications that had come in so for in response to her ads for a nanny for Clementine. Clem was sitting nearby on a chair that she had now claimed as 'hers'. Currently, she was busy with some school work that had been set for her that morning by the principal.

The meeting at the school had gone well in Erin's opinion. The principal had been excellent with Clem, talking to her about what had happened, how she felt about her new living environment, and about returning to school. Erin had also been invited to give some input, and had mentioned having taken two weeks of leave from work. With that in mind, the principal had suggested that Clem should take the same period of time as a break from school, albeit with some learning to do at home. It was an arrangement that all three of them had agreed to.

"How's it going, Clem?" Erin asked.

'It's math questions. I don't like math," Clementine grumbled.

"Do you need help, or are you just complaining?"

"I think I got it," Clem said, still in the grumpy tone.

"As soon as you've done those ones and I've checked your answers, you can move on to the next subject," Erin said, trying to sound encouraging.

"I'd rather be outside running."

Erin looked up from her tablet, surprised by that new piece of information. "You like running?"

"I'm on the school cross country team," Clem announced without looking up from her work.

"You are? That's great. How did your last race go?"

"I finished second."

"Second? That's awesome, Clem!" Erin said, automatically feeling proud of her daughter, for that was already how she thought of Clementine.

"I should have won. I was disappointed," Clem said, also looking up.

"Determination is good. But remember, you can't always win everything you attempt. What matters is you try your hardest. Always try your hardest."

"I do," Clementine said seriously.

"We should run together," Erin suggested. "I could use the fitness work, and it would be good to be able to do it together. Would you like that?"

"Yes," Clem said brightly. "I practice at school, but I would do it with you too."

Erin's phone started ringing, with less than ideal timing. Sighing, she put down her tablet and picked up the phone. The name Samantha Miller was on the screen. Great, she thought. A work-related call wasn't what she needed, but she figured the Deputy Superintendent didn't know she was on leave. For the sake of privacy, she went through to the kitchen before answering the call.

"Lindsay."

"Erin, it's Sam Miller."

"Good afternoon, ma'am."

"Don't worry about ma'aming me, we're past that. You can call me Sam. Erin, this isn't going to be convenient, but I need to you to come see me in my office, today."

"I... can't do that," Erin said, realising what an awkward response it was. "I'm on leave, and I'm home looking after Clementine. Remember you saw me with her at the mall? Jay and I took her in. We're hoping to adopt her permanently."

"Really? Well, that's a good thing you're doing. But I do need to see you urgently."

On instinct alone, Erin now put Clementine first. She didn't even have to think about it. "If you need to see me today you'll have to come to my apartment. I'm sorry, but that's the best I can do. What's this about anyway?"