33. proven wrong

Oli's pov

Tom looks... Dead.

I know he's not but it makes me sad to see him in this state. His skin is sickly pale and he's motionless.

Josh sits in a chair closer to the door as I stand by my brother's side. He's been quite like he always is when we are here. I'm glad he's quiet. I never want to talk to him while we are here because I'm here for Tom, not Josh.

Carefully, I crawl into the hospital next to my little brother and look at him. He use to get in my bed when he had nightmares. "I'm sorry for getting in the road... If I didn't, you'd be awake right now," I whisper softly so Josh won't hear me.

I like that Josh tags along but I still want what I say to Tom to be private. I don't think he can hear right now but if he can I bet he's bored and enjoys it when I talk to him. "I know you probably think it's stupid but I'm dating Josh. You know... My highschool bully. I fell in love and he changed. You'll like him when you meet him," I whisper extra quite because I'm talking about Josh while he's in the same room.

"Oh, I picked something for you," I say getting out the coin case that has a four leaf clover in it. I don't believe in luck but I was looking at my feet as I was standing in some clovers and saw this. If anyone needs some luck it's him.

He needs to wake up.

I give Tom the clover and close his hand around it. I just want my brother back...

"If you wake up right now I'll take you to Disneyland. Just you and me. You said you'll do anything to go, so wake up," I beg him quietly with tears in my eyes.

As I watch his face for a reaction my heart breaks more. He's not going to wake up...

Then I'm proven wrong.

His blue eyes open and I freeze. We make eye contact with each other and my heart speeds up. Is this real? I look at josh who is still looking at his phone minding his own business.

My eyes go back to Tom to see he's looking at me like I'm an alien. I'm probably making the same face. I throw my arms around him and start crying. "I-I'm so sorry!" I cry.

Tom doesn't move but I think that's because he's been motionless for three years. "You're so buff," he says in a horse voice. I laugh and cry at the same time and soon Josh is rubbing my back.

"Holy shit, he's awake," josh says and I somehow cry more.

"I love you, Tom," I cry hugging him.

"I love you too but why is this asshole here?" He says bitterly.

I'm too much of a mess to answer I'm crying and laughing at the same time and it's hard to think or speak. I'm overwhelmed. I thought he was going to die.

For a moment Josh rubs my back as I hug Tom but soon I'm calming down can control myself a bit more. "I missed you so much," I say and Tom looks over me again.

"You look different..." He says.

"It's been three years," I say and he looks at Josh again.

"And in that time your bully turned into friend?" He asks.

"Boyfriend. I love him and you," I say huging my brother. I don't want to talk about josh, I want to talk about him.

"I love you too, brother," he says and I cry more. I'm very emotional. Anyone would be in my situation.

"I can't move," he says softly.

"T-the doctors said if you wake up your body is going to be weak. You broke bones and got some brain damage but the doctors said it all healed. You aren't paralyzed, just weak," I say. I've asked the doctors hundreds of times.

"It's been three years?" He asks.

"Yeah, I'm so sorry. Do you remember why you are here?" I ask.

"Yeah and I don't regret it. I'd do it again," he says. Fuck, I missed him so much.

Skksksks very close to the end I think.

Thoughts?

January 28,2021