𝖼𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝗇𝗂𝗇𝖾𝗍𝗒 𝗌𝗂𝗑

Chapter 2

It takes three days to go back to normal or what you refer to as ‘the new normal’ which is really just a combination of before’s arctic atmosphere with a touch of stilted awkwardness as Hoseok tries to navigate his way around husband duties. In all honesty you preferred the way things were before—him barely making an appearance and only meeting up when he needed you on his arm at an event.

The house was near suffocating with tension as Hoseok warred with the nagging guilt in the back of his brain and his irrational annoyance when it came to you. The problem was you didn’t even say anything. He hadn’t liked what you had to say the last two times you spoke, sure but he would take that blunt honesty over your quiet acceptance any day. Just as soon as the fire he saw lit in you was there, it had disappeared. Not to mention, while eating had once been his favorite part of the day, he found himself loathing the task because everytime he sat down to eat, he—

“You should eat more.” He says offhandedly.

“I’ll make note of it.” You hum.

Hoseok pauses in cutting his steak to make an annoyed sound before going back to eating. Anytime he saw you you were eating some sort of leafy green or fruit or something with nutritional value. You were ever the lady and quite the opposite of Roa when you ate—your movements were dainty and your portions were dainty and everything about you was refined. But Hoseok always had liked a girl who could eat. Eating was one of the many joys of life and he could never take seriously a person who deprived themselves of it.

“I’ll have Mrs. Lee know to stock up on protein for you.” He says and it’s your turn to hesitate. Hoseok doesn’t look at you, but he doesn’t need to for the words to annoy you beyond belief.

“Yes, Hoseok.” You say before clenching your jaw.

He puts his napkin down and rises from his seat, “I’ll have her know to take care of it right now. Finish eating, I’ll catch up with you at dinner.”

He makes to the mouth of the dining room when you call out, “Mrs. Lee has the day off.”

“It’s a Friday.” He informs, like you live in the stone ages and have never in your life seen a calendar much less could read one.

“Mhm.” You hum, still working your way through the spinach, berry salad you’d taken gentle care to make yourself.

He waits for you to elaborate and when you don’t he forces his tone to be gentle and unassuming.

“Did she request the day off?” He asks, finding it hard to believe the woman who’s worked for him for seven years and never so much as called in late did so.

“No.” You answer.

It was petty, you know it was. But if a Hoseok wanted answers he would have to work for them a little. Because he was an ass, and you would never forgive him for making you fall in love with him. But also because these last few days were spent jumping at his every word and obeying his every demand of you. You don’t remember him being this irritating but you realize you also haven’t spent this much time with him, well, ever.

“___,” Hoseok begins gently and you look up at him then, “I’ve been away a long time and you have every right to adjust the staffs schedules as you’re here more often but … Mrs. Lee and Elroy are two people that are indispensable to me. For future reference, er … if I’m in the house, I’d like if you let me know when you’re going to give them the day off.”

Well, that was painful to watch.

You look him in the eye and suddenly that soft voice of yours is much more challenging than he once found it, “It’s her grandson's first birthday.”