𝖼𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝗈𝗇𝖾 𝗁𝗎𝗇𝖽𝗋𝖾𝖽 𝖿𝗂𝖿𝗍𝗒 𝖿𝗂𝗏𝖾

Chapter 36: Left Unread

Hana dried the tears from her eyes before the taxi pulled up to the little school. She was determined to go on with her day, to face the children with a brave and happy face, even though her heart was ripped open. She greeted Mrs. Lee, saying nothing of her weekend away from her life, but Mrs. Lee looked her over, cautiously, making note that her eyes looked red and puffy and her usual beaming smile was missing.

Once the room was ready for the children, she brought in the china dishes that had been soaking in water to set up for the children to wash. She remembered how beautiful she thought he looked siting in the garden on the little chair sipping tea and watching the children play. He almost looked to her as though he came down from a painting; his beauty was ethereal. She had been shy around him, wondering why he had returned so quickly and secretly hoping it might be to see her.

She put her phone into her purse, and hung it in a locker, not to be looked at until the day was done. She thought he might try to call her, to find out why she left, if his housekeeper mentioned what she said, maybe he would even try to explain himself and beg her to see him again, but that was completely out of the question. If she even spoke to him, she was fearful she would lose her nerve and give in to his charm and the magnitude of her growing feelings. She was almost swallowed up by this need to love him, and be loved.

She looks down at her hands as she sits waiting for the day to begin. Those hands had roamed freely over his body, and grabbed the sheets in building tension. They had stroked his gentle face and fed him sweet treats. They had rested in his warm hand, and felt his lips press against them. Now they slide nervously along the fabric of her skirt on her knees, to distract her from her thoughts, and from wishing she didn't want so desperately to remember everything about him.

"Hana, there seems to be another delivery. Can you help?" Mrs. Lee asks, peeking around the doorway. Hana nods, and stands, hoping the delivery has nothing to do with him. She follows behind Mrs. Lee toward the back door and she sees a set of boxes stacked up. The delivery van has just pulled away. She looks down at the box and sees the same toy shop name from the last delivery. She sighs. The donation is from him. She wonders when he sent it. She lifts the boxes up one at a time, bringing them into the back entry way.

"Open it up and see what it is this time dear," Mrs. Lee instructs her. She opens the box and pulls out a beautiful little watering can. She holds it up and tears fill her eyes. Mrs. Lee notices. "What's wrong Hana, you're upset." Hana tries to wipe the tear away as she busies herself looking through the box. She pulls out a little spade and trowel set, and a long hoe.

"So the children can work in the garden," she says, sighing. "It's very thoughtful." Mrs. Lee looks her over curiously.

"Your young man is very kind and generous." Hana looks up at her quickly, searching her eyes.

"He isn't mine," she says, thinking back to his words last night. "I'm afraid I don't know him very well." Mrs. Lee shakes her head.

"You will, give it time. He's definitely working hard to impress you." Hana dismisses the thought.

"I'm going to drag these into the closet, and I will try to put them away later, maybe tomorrow after school. I want to see my children when they come in," she says, tugging a big box toward the hallway. Mrs. Lee watches her, and thinks about what she's said. She wonders why it isn't as easy for young people to meet someone, fall in love, and get married as it had been in her youth.

***

Taehyung has been calling her phone for the past twenty minutes, to no answer. He's stopped trying to call and started sending a series of texts.

10:52am: Please Call, it's all a mistake

10:54am: Mrs. Choi got it wrong

10:55am: I'm not engaged. There is no one else

11:01am: There is only you. You are the one

11:03am: I need to speak to you!

11:05am: Please say you will talk to me

11:07am: Please let me know you're reading these texts

11:10am: Hana?

All left unread. He shakes his head disappointed. He knows she's in her classroom and maybe she doesn't keep her phone with her. Maybe she's too focused on the children to even think about what happened this morning. He picks up the phone and dials the school number.

"Good Morning, Mrs. Lee. This is Kim Taehyung. I wonder if I might speak with Miss Wright?" He listens as her kind voice speaks.

"I'm sorry Mr. Kim, she's gone for the day." He frowns.

"Gone? Isn't she teaching all day?"

"She has classes at the university on Mondays so she leaves at lunchtime after the children are settled down to eat."

"Oh that's terrible news," he says almost to himself.

"Can I help you with something Mr. Kim?" He pauses for a long moment thinking about how to answer. "Hana seemed distraught this morning, she didn't say why but I want her to feel better. I'd like to help if I can." He considers her words.

"There was a misunderstanding. She was upset by something, but it isn't true. I- I don't know how to explain it." He's unsure what to say to her, or what she knows already or even what is appropriate.

"Why don't you come to the school and meet with me. I have something I'd like to discuss with you," she offers. He knows there is no way he can find her at the university, and she isn't reading his texts. He nods, thinking he may just need to speak with Mrs. Lee. The school is the only place he knows for sure that she will return to.

"Thank you Mrs. Lee, I will be there as soon as I can." He hangs up his phone, and looks back at his saved picture of Hana from the website. Her bag with her clothing is still sitting at the end of his bed. He grabs his jacket and stands quickly, moving toward his bedroom door.

"Mrs. Choi I'm going out!" he calls to her as he heads for the front door.

"Go get her Mr. Kim!" she yells back from somewhere else in the apartment.