𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫: 𝐫𝐮𝐦𝐨𝐫 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐢𝐭

Rumor Has It

Rumor Has It

A cold chill ran across Adhara's spine as she walked through the dark path. She doesn't know when she got there, or even how she found her way inside, but one minute she was tossing and turning in the warmth of her bed, and the next she found herself barefoot on the cold, damp stone floor.

The sound of angry waves hitting the outside of the stone walls were the only hint that she was nowhere near Hogwarts.

She walked forward, towards the dim light that seemed to be miles away from where she was.
She had no idea where she was going, but something told her she had been there before.

Her footsteps echoed through the eerily quiet stone passage. As she neared the only source of light, her heart dropped.

The stone corridor that she followed lead her to something much larger than she expected. The walls extended out into a giant black lake, so large that Adhara could no longer see the end of the lake or the ceiling. The only reason she knew she was still inside of the cave was because the waves from outside had grown even louder — angrier.

Yet unlike the water outside, the lake was serene, completely still and quiet, which only made Adhara feel more uneasy. The light she saw was a dull green light that shone towards the middle of the dark lake. It floated just above the water allowing Adhara to have a clear view.
But there wasn't much to see, it was completely dark, darker than any darkness Adhara had ever seen.

The more she stared into the water, the more she had the urge to dip her hand inside.

She decided against it.

Turning her body, she moved to walk away from the lake when something made her freeze in place, making her knees go weak.

A voice.

A voice she would recognize anywhere.

It was Regulus.

"Adhara," the voice said from behind her.

Whipping her body around she looked everywhere but didn't see the owner of the voice.

"Reggie?" she asked.

There was no response.

Walking closer to the water, she stopped when she was just inches from the edge.

"Regulus?" she repeated.

Suddenly, she heard a splash from somewhere in the lake. Turning her neck so fast it almost snapped, she tried to see where the sound came from, but just as fast as it came, it was gone.

"Reg?" she said one more time, feeling her heart beating against her chest.

Once more, she heard movement in the water, only this time it was just inches from where she stood.