𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞: 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐭

The Start

The Start

12 Grimmauld place was silent. Only the sound of light snoring and ticking clocks could be heard. The Black household was lost in a dream-filled sleep and unlike during the day, there was a peace that filled the air.

However, Adhara Walburga Black could not close her eyes and indulge in fantastically adventurous dreams. She gave up her battle with sleep and decided to sit up on her bed and re-read her acceptance letter for the 10th time.

She and her twin brother Regulus had received their Hogwarts letters earlier that day, and it was all they could think about. She recalled how her cousin Narcissa told her all about her first year at Hogwarts and ever since then, she awaited the day it would be her turn.

Narcissa told her stories about the Sorting Hat that sorted you into your house, the Great Hall that never ran out of food, the Forbidden Forest filled with magical creatures, the Black Lake home to mysterious merpeople, and a giant squid.

It all seemed so magical... and she longed for the day she could ride the Hogwarts express and see it all for herself.

However, it wasn't until recently that she also dreaded the day to come. Her older brother Sirius, started Hogwarts last year and was sorted into Gryffindor. Ever since then, there has not been a peaceful day in the Black household. She loved her older brother, but she couldn't help but think he was dense.

Growing up in the Black Household, Adhara was taught that blood purity was everything. She was taught that affiliation with muggle-borns and half-bloods was unacceptable. Adhara didn't necessarily hate people who weren't purebloods - however, she did not do much to oppose the beliefs, unlike her brother.

She could not understand why Sirius went against their parents and family so much when he could simply obey and everything would be peaceful. Unlike her brother, she put herself and her blood family first. She could care less about other people and what they did. She didn't believe there was a good side, simply just people acting on their own accord. She was aware that her thoughts were selfish, but most people were selfish, and if they were, then why couldn't she be as well?

Then again, she was only 11, so what did she know right?

However, it didn't matter how different she was from her older brother, she loved him and knew she would protect him until the end of time.

She was nervous to begin Hogwarts and was afraid that a similar situation would happen to her or her twin brother. She did not want to further anger her parents or cause the family to drift apart any more than it already has. She loved her family, but more specifically she loved her brothers and didn't want them ever to separate or lose each other; it was her greatest fear.

Suddenly, a light knock snapped her out of her deep thoughts. The door slowly opened and she could see a head of shaggy black hair peek into her room.

"Addie... are you awake?" Regulus whispered as he tiptoed into her room. Her twin brother walked blindly in the dark towards her bed trying to make out her face.