𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧: 𝐚 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐬

A Thousand Wars

A Thousand Wars

Days turned into weeks and before anyone realized, Winter Break was only a day away. It's been over a month since Adhara saw the Dark Mark etched into Evan and Regulus's skin, but the reality of everything hurts no less than it did the night she found out. The following morning she wasted no time in telling Amethyst and Sabrina, who just like her, were devastated by the news. As expected, Jaxon also had the Mark, and after a heated argument with Amethyst, he admitted that the three boys agreed to become Death Eaters together.

Regulus woke from his coma not long after, confused and disoriented when Evan and Jaxon both stood next to his hospital bed with apologetic looks. No matter how hard he's tried to speak to his twin, she refuses to even acknowledge him, Evan or Jaxon. And even though she still wears her matching magic bracelet, not daring to remove it, she does not respond to Regulus's daily messages — though he still hasn't given up, Adhara doubts he ever will.

Although Amethyst and Sabrina are still furious with the three, they have started to speak to the boys again. And although Adhara wishes they would stay as mad as she has, she cannot hold it against them.

Although she feels petty and childish for ignoring them, she is not ready to face them yet — especially not Regulus.

So in an effort to avoid them as much as possible, Adhara spends all of her time either drowned in schoolwork or in the Hospital Wing for as long as she can until Madame Pomfrey kicks her out. She has also opted to meet with Sirius and Remus — who are once again together, after Sirius begged for forgiveness for days on end — and sometimes even James and Peter in the Astronomy Tower whenever they can.

However, no matter how much she tries, she cannot relieve the ache that fills her chest whenever she sees the boys. She misses them. Regardless of how stupid or idiotic they are. She longs for Evan's sweet smile and kisses, for Regulus's dorky jokes and brotherly hugs, for Jaxon's witty remarks and playful smirks. She's long since realized that no matter what they did, do or who they become, she will always love them the same. And even if she is mad at them, she will never hate them.

She isn't ready to tell them that yet, though.

"You can't ignore them forever, Ads," Amethyst sighs as she finishes stuffing things into her luggage for tomorrow.

"Who says I can't? Watch me," Adhara replies flipping a page in her new muggle book, courtesy of Remus.

"We don't doubt your ignoring skills, Addie, we just don't think you should. It's obvious you miss them. And although I understand why you're so angry, ignoring them won't fix anything, and you know that. You're just making yourself miserable," Sabrina says, heading laying on Adhara's lap.

"I second that," Amethyst chimes.

"Talking to them won't fix things. If anything, it'll probably just make me want to strangle the three of them with my bare hands," she argues.