𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭: 𝐜𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮

Can't Lose You

Can't Lose You

Neither of them had moved a muscle. It took every bone in Evan's body to stop him from crashing his lips into Adhara's again. The kiss was everything he had been dreaming of for the past four years and more.

Similarly, Adhara wanted nothing more than to feel his soft lips on hers again. For that short moment, she felt as though she was safe and the world around her did not exist. However, she knew she couldn't do this. No matter how right it felt. It just wouldn't work.

"Evan, we can't do this," Adhara said in a whisper.

Evan suddenly felt his heart fall into the pit of his stomach.

"W-what?" Evan struggled to say.

"We can't do this Evan," Adhara repeated as she felt her eyes water.

"Why not?" he said, hurt evident in his voice.

"You're my best friend, I will not risk the chance of ruining our friendship over this. I tried it once and it ended horribly. I cannot do it again, especially when the person I might lose is you," Adhara explained with a shaky voice, looking to her feet.

"Adhara look at me," Evan said softly lifting her chin towards him.

"I understand your fear, it's valid, you've gone through so much. But you have to understand, I would never hurt you. I care about you more than I care about anyone else in this entire world, even myself. I would never risk hurting you because you are the best thing that has ever happened to me. Please give us a chance," Evan said, his voice getting softer and softer as he continued.

"I can't lose you," She whispered.

"And you never will," he said connecting their lips again. Unlike the first, this kiss was much less intense, however, Adhara broke it before it could turn into something more.

"I'm sorry, I just can't, I can't get hurt again," she said shaking her head trying to stop the tears brimming in her eyes.

Evan looked distraught but nodded sadly. He began to walk away when he stopped and slowly turned around again to speak.

"You know, it's kind of ironic, you're afraid of me breaking your heart, but you just did exactly that to me," he said, tears in his eyes, turning and walking up the dorm stairs.

"EVAN WAIT," Adhara called out feeling her tears fall onto her cheeks.

Before she had the chance to chase him up the stairs she heard someone entering the common room.

She turned and saw Regulus making his way in. He looked at his sister and his face quickly filled with worry.

"Addie? Why are you crying? Who did this to you? I swear I'll fuck them up," Regulus said starting to head back to the door.