Chapter 23

I mustered up all the energy I had left and imagined a pair of wings sprouting from my back. I could feel the warmth envelop me and when I opened up my eyes... Nothing happened. I cursed myself out and began walking towards what I felt was the source of the suffering.
-----------------------------------------

Warning!

This story may trigger readers who suffer from anxiety, depression or PTSD. There are many mentions of domestic abuse, self harm, self loathing, suicidal thoughts and tendencies. If you are easily triggered or bothered by such content, proceed with caution.
~W. D. Girl

Your POV:

The journey before me was to be long and miserable. The pain increased with every step I took, leading me to its source. I reached the edge of a forested area, meaning my travel was about to become even more difficult. The floor was filled with fallen leafs, sticks and twigs. I took a step inside, and then another. The pain increased, guiding me in the direction of the source. I sighed and continued my way along the path my senses had determined. Stepping over logs and fallen over trees postponed my arrival further and further. There were ditches deep enough to get trapped inside, the trees blocked most of the sunlight from shining through, making it hard to spot such traps.

Occasionally I'd spot an illegal trash site, where old and broken machinery, furniture and much more would lie. It made me sick how disgusting humans can be. Along a path that had been carved by many others walking through before me I would spot a can of beer now and then, many cigarette buts, even plastic bags and plastic bottles filled with mystery liquids. It made me feel depressed. How could one be so neglectful...

Once I felt the pain weakening, I immediately changed course, until I felt it getting stronger once again. Eventually, my feet dragged along the dirt with much protest, having been exposed to uneven terrain for multiple hours at a time. Then, all of a sudden, I collapsed, not having felt the pain my body was screaming for me to notice. I had been too preoccupied with the pain of another to notice my own. With a sigh of annoyance I forced myself to take a break. I took out a blanket I had packed in advance and, while leaning against a tree trunk, I covered myself in the soft, fluffy fabric. Within minutes, I was out and asleep.

I woke up at sunset, having been uncomfortable for quite some time after I had succumbed to the realm of dreams. While stretching and cracking my joints, I immediately felt the pain again, the pain that would lead me to him. I sprung up, took my belongings and set off as fast as I could. The sun was setting below the horizon alarmingly fast, I knew it would be much harder walking in complete darkness. Then I got an idea. What if I just became a cat? I'm sure I could just shrink my backpack to an easy-to-carry-cat-style size. And that's exactly what I did. I felt myself shrinking as the world around me grew rapidly.

The backpack I carried soon became too heavy for me to hold, and therefore, I let it fall to the ground behind me. When my transformation was complete, I tried enchanting my luggage, and to my great surprise, it actually worked. I awkwardly mounted the backpack onto my small body and prance proudly onwards, giving myself a small pat on the back for coming up with something so clever. With a few small snack breaks along the way, I managed to step out of the forest at dawn. I was tired, hungry and fussy, having been up all night instead of waiting for morning in Slumbertown.

Nevertheless, I was ways away from society, standing on the edges of a beautiful meadow with a river lazily flowing through. A river... That's it! I thought, as it would be most convenient for any society to live near a water source. And my senses agreed with the path I had chosen, for the pain increased in strength as I walked forward. The sun has fully risen by the time I noticed a beautiful mountain with a sparkling waterfall. That must be the place, the monster base. And so, before taking my hike up the mountain, I took a well deserved nap in the semi tall grass.