Chapter 20

I know him like I know my own mind, there's nobody as trusting and as kind. Sadly, he will never be satisfied, he could never be satisfied.
-------------------------

Warning!
This story may trigger readers who suffer from anxiety, depression or PTSD. There are many mentions of domestic abuse, self harm, self loathing, suicidal thoughts and tendencies. If you are easily triggered or bothered by such content, proceed with caution.
~W. D. Girl

After the ball had ended and monsters made their way back into their sanctuaries, G and I walked to the front garden with me back in my neko form. My ears hung low, my gaze even lower as we silently walked side by side. The silence was deadly. One wrong move and the fuse would blow. We reached the gate and stopped in our tracks. G avoided my gaze and I avoided his. I wished he'd look at me, even if he were to give me the the coldest stare. Then he finally spoke:

"Take care... (Y/n). It was nice seeing you."
He walked away.

"G, wait!"
I called out as I ran towards him, but before I could reach him he had already teleported away without another word. I was too late. With a soft sigh and an aching chest I made my way home. It didn't take me long to reach the house, yet it felt like a lifetime had passed. By the time I made it back, my parents were already asleep. I got out of my fancy clothes, took a short, warm shower and headed to bed. Sleep didn't come to me for at least an hour. I kept thinking about him, I couldn't get G out of my mind. My thoughts finally exhausted me enough to let me fall into a deep slumber.
~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up to a sunny day. I had a very hard time getting up and out of bed, yet it had to be done. Walking out of my room, I called out to my parents, but nobody answered. I didn't read too much into it for I was sure they were just doing their own thing. Out of habit, and because I didn't know what to do with myself, I began cleaning the house. First I vacuumed the floors, made the beds and washed the dishes. As I was heading to fold what little laundry I had to tend to, I heard rustling from inside my room. At first I brushed it off as a part of my imagination. Then crashing echoed throughout the halls, it's source being my room. I couldn't ignore it anymore. I cautiously walked to my door, hesitating on opening it...

I sighed softly and cracked the door open. Immediately I was hit with a wave of negativity, dread, hopelessness, everything I've felt about half a year ago... The feeling were so sudden I stumbled back to regain my balance. I looked up inside my room and saw a small child sitting on my desk, them kicking their feet in the air as they couldn't quite reach the ground.

"You..."
I growled through gritted teeth.

"Why are you here? How! are you here, Chara?!"
She said nothing, she just laughed maniacally. Not a moment later, she was disappearing into thin air. When she was gone, my room slowly transformed itself into the room I resided in back at my adoptive father's house. The general's house. It brought back unpleasant memories. I felt suicidal for the first time in forever. I ran out of the room and I appeared in the hall of our first sanctuary.
I knew I wasn't alone, I could feel a presence near me. They're coming, creeping from the corner of the hallway, and all I know is that I don't feel safe. I feel the tapping on my shoulder, I turn around in an alarming state to see who or what disturbed me, yet all I saw was empty space. Am I losing my mind? I really began to think so, not a creature in sight and I felt all these feelings.

I wish this was over, I wish that this was a dream but... I've created a monster, a hell within my head, a beast inside my brain. There was nowhere to go, I'm wasn't on my own, my mind impaired. Someone awake me from my nightmare...

Then I heard footsteps echoing around me. I looked up only to see that G was walking toward me. I couldn't take it any longer, I couldn't take the rush of emotions, I collapsed to the floor and screamed.