Should I really be a Hero?

I was walking to school feeling horrible about myself. I know what I have to do, but I don’t know if I have the courage to do it. It’s too late to change seats so I’m stuck sitting next to “her.” I didn’t tell Annette about what happened because I didn’t want to talk about it. I walked into class; she was already there. I sat in my seat. We never said a word to each other. I watched as the rest of the students walked through the door; all 20 of us were here. While we waited for our substitute teacher, I was mentally preparing myself for the speech I would have to give.

“Morning class” Mr. Aizawa walked in the room completely wrapped in band-aids. I don’t even think he should be walking.

“Mr. Aizawa! It’s good to see you’re doing OK!” Iida shouted.

“My well-being doesn’t matter. What you need to be worrying about is your next battle.” Are we fighting again? We should probably focus more on keeping U.A. safe from villains, and me. “The U.A. Sports Festival.”

“Alright! Let’s go kick some ass!” shouted Kirishima.

“But wait, hold on. Do you really think it’s a good idea to have to Sports Festival? I mean, we just got attacked by villains.” Kaminari added. He had a point, it’s dangerous to have the Festival because we just came back from a villain attack. That would be the perfect time to attack again.

“Apparently the school board thinks it’s a good idea. By holding this, we’re showing that the situation has been handled and we’re stronger than ever.“ Mr. Aizawa kept talking about the Sports Festival. I was already informed about the importance of the festival. “Salazo!” I looked up from my notebook. “You wanted to make an announcement, now’s your chance.” Without realizing it, my body walked up to the front of the classroom.

“Good morning and hello. I’m some of you may know me already. But for those who don’t, my name is Salazo Nautali.” Claude was speaking for me. I hope he knows what I do and don’t want to talk about. “I would like to inform you all about my mysterious quirk. We have been at U.A. for three days now, making today the fourth. Within those four days I have yet to show and signs of a quirk. That’s because my quirk is something different.” It’s weird to think my quirk is explaining how my quirk works. “How many of you have heard the mental disorder known as Dissociative Identity Disorder?” Only Ashido and Kirishima raised their hands. “This disorder is when the person in question has two or more unique personalities. That is what I believe my quirk has become. I will not get into the details but the reason I believe this is my quirk is because my eyes change color whenever I switch personalities. It's not much to go off of but, oh well.” No one has noticed that my eyes were yellow. Claude is good at giving speeches, but his voice is very monotone, so it can be very boring.

“Ok, but how many personalities do you have?” asked Uraraka.

“I was just about to get to that. I have four personalities.” Claude sounds so serious. “The first personality is Salazo, he is the original. The third personality is me, Claude.”

“Wait, you’re Claude right now.” Asked Ojiro

“That is correct, I have been in control since the start. The fourth personality is a girl named Bo.” Claude froze and his grip began to tighten. His breathing intensified. Another personality wanted to come out. After a few seconds, the grip loosened, and the breathing slowed down.

“I’m sorry, where did I leave off. My head went blank for a seconded.”

“You just mentioned the third and fourth personalities.” Uraraka replied.

”Ah, yes” my eyes were staring around my desk area, but I didn’t understand why. Within the blink of an eye, I lunged towards the back of the room and put a pencil against “her” neck. The entire class froze, including Mr. Aizawa. He wasn’t able to do anything due to his injuries and the class wasn’t prepared for what wasn’t going happening. “And the second personality is me. You can call me… Delaney.” She’s in control. She also came up with a name which is nice, but that’s not important now.

“You’re… You’re the reason Salazo was forced to leave his family.” She whispered. No one heard her so I wouldn’t have to explain that.

“Bingo. You made Salazo pretty mad yesterday; I wanted to kill you so badly. Not because I was mad at you for makinghim mad, but because he probably would have let me. But now I’m at school surrounded by heroes and kids trying to be heroes.” If she were going to kill her, yesterday would have been the time to do it. She released her grip on her and walked back to the front of the classroom. “I got one thing to set straight. I am the first personality that Salazo developed. I love assassination; my favorite part is the killing. So be warned, I will not hesitate to kill you if we meet in a fight.” Everyone was stunned by what was said. Everything was silent. I could feel my heart beating as if I were about to die.

I walked back to my seat without saying a word. I never spoke for the rest of the morning. Lunch rolled around, but I wasn’t hungry. I stood up and walked to the cafeteria because I had nothing better to do.

“Salazo wait.” Her hand was on my shoulder again.

“I’m sorry that I did that to you”
“You don’t have to be, I understand the reason why it happened. There is no reason you should be this hard on yourself; you had no control over the matter.”

“Keep your distance”
“Whether you like it or not, we are family. It’s my responsibility to look after you , even though I’m your younger cousin.”

“We’re not family” She never said anything after that. She followed me for the entire lunch. Lunch eventually came to an end with hero training soon to follow

“Welcome back to Hero Basic Training!” said All Might. “You may have a run in with villains, but that was their mistake! Because that run in has made you stronger, whether you are aware of it or not!” That smile was beginning to get annoying. Life isn’t that easy Mr. Natural Born Hero. “Today we’ll be working on rescue training! You’ll each be working alone to find and save the rescue dummy!” We weren’t doing any combat today; I wonder if Mr. Aizawa told All Might what happened this morning.

We were all at the USJ again. There was a giant hole in the roof from what I assume is last time we were here. All Might hid a rescue dummy in different zones depending on the student that was participating. I was assigned to the landslide zone. I had to start at the bottom and save the person that was trapped at the top and make my way back down with the dummy in my arms.

“Ready… Set… Go!” announced All Might. I started my run up the hill, while creating a clear path for me to follow on the way down. I reached the top and found the dummy. “Great! Now come on down!” I put the dummy over my shoulder and slowly began walking downhill. Just as I took my fifth step, the ground started shaking.

“Ah! This isn’t the earthquake zone!”

“It seems the building wasn’t completely settled!” The chunks of building were moving all around me. I lost my balance and began tumbling downhill, into every obstacle in my path. When the world around me stopped moving, I realized I stopped falling.

“Damn it” a mix of anger and sadness overcame me.

“Are you alright Young Salazo?”

“Yes… I’m fine! The dummy broke my fall.” I slowly stood up and walked out of the zone. I never should have been a hero; I can’t do anything. What hope do I have in saving someone if I can’t save myself?

Everyone passed the test except for me. We returned back to U.A. and finished the rest of our classes. A few people tried to talk to me, but I didn’t listen. I left the classroom as soon as possible.

“You shouldn’t be isolating yourself like that.”

“I’m used to it.” I’ve spent many years of my life alone. What difference would this year make? Parents, students, and even teachers were afraid of me.

“Salazo. Salazo! Salazo, look at me when I’m talking to you!” I stopped.

“I told you, we’re no-“ there were tears in her eyes. I wasn’t sure what to say now. “Why do you talk to me?”

“We’re fa… friends, and I care about you.” That's right, she’s not a Maekawa. What’s wrong with me? I could feel the tears form in my eyes. I held the back and began walking to her. I need to learn to live with my past, not avoid it. As I stood in front of her, I looked her in the eyes, and gave her a hug.

“I’m sorry… I shouldn’t have been like that.” She hugged me back. “My past isn’t something that I can forget about so easily. I’m glad… you’re my cousin.” She squeezed me harder.

“All is forgiven. And I apologize for being such a pest.”

“It’s fine. We figured things out. Thank You… Momo.”