The Cavalry Battle

“Allow me to explain.” Midnight began. “The participants will form teams of two-to-four people as they see fit. In theory, it’s basically the same as a regular playground game. But there is one difference. Each player has been assigned a point value based on the results from the obstacle course. The point assignments go up by increments of five, for example, 42nd place is worth five points and 41st is worth ten points. And the point value assigned to the first-place contestant is, ten million! You will have 15 minutes to prepare your teams; after that, the games will begin.”

I began walking through the crowd. If I had to guess, Claude was in control. I wasn’t sure where he was walking, but I think he had a plan. I have never done a cavalry battle before, but other students seemed to be familiar with it. I never played with other kids in the playground so I have no idea what this will be like. We encountered the girl with plant hair again.

“Hello, would you care to join my team.” She turned to face me.

“I would be honored to join such a skilled individual such as yourself, but would it not be wise to invite one of your peers.” She replied. Claude was a master tactician, and the cavalry battle is about strategy and leadership. He was definitely a person you would want on your team.

“Many thanks. I fear my peer may not give me their trust. I have a plan of my own that I believe you would be of importance. We are able to form a team with two people, but it would be wise to find more teammates.” He began looking around for someone with helpful quirk but was interrupted by someone making a team himself.

“Hey, why don’t you join my team?” a voice came from behind me. We turned to find a guy with spikey hair. It was the same guy who seemed to be controlling people during the race. Claude didn’t answer. He staired at the boy.

“Your quirk is very powerful; it can be very useful. If I am not mistaken, you can control others. Would you care to join my team?” said Claude. He was very straight forward with his approach. The boy looked around before answering.

“When people realize what my quirk is, they usually avoid me, or tense up when talking. So why are you still talking?”

“I do not fear you. You have not giving me any reason I shouldn’t trust you.” The boy seemed surprised. He didn’t expect that kind of answer.

“Alright fine, I’ll join you” the boy said with a smile.

“Great, if we know how to utilize both of your quirks, we should be able to win. Having four members would give us another advantage, but many people have already formed teams. Having a three-person team also gives up the advantage of better control and maneuverability. Our points will start lower than most, but that means we’ll become less of a target. If we can create a plan where…”

“Snap out of it!” the boy, snaping his fingers.

“We still have ten minutes. Perhaps we should begin learning about our teammates.” Both of them looked at me. they probably were expecting me to go first. “ My name is Claude Nautali but may call me Claude. My quirk, though interesting, is not very useful. I have four different personalities hidden within myself; I am actually one of those personalities, but I have taken control of the host body. The host is Salazo, while the other two personalities are Delaney and Bo.” Both of them just stared at me. There was no reason you had to say that much. Now they probably think I’m crazy.

“You poor soul, you hide your struggle behind great strength.” Said the girl. She talks very weird; I wonder if there’s a reason. “My name sense birth has been Ibara Shiozaki. My quirk has been dubbed Vines. My hair is comprised of vines, as one would expect. These vines are part of me, and I can control them as if it were a limb. They can detach and extend to great lengths.”

“How did I get stuck in a team with weridos” said the boy. “Hitoshi Shinso, and my quirk is brainwashing. I can control anyone, but only after they answer my question.”

“How dreadful! Truly a power of evil!”

“Not true” said Claude. “This just shows a flaw in the U.A. system. Mind control would pose as a very useful quirk for heroes. Catching villains would take little effort. It would be best if U.A. hadn’t tested children on artificial villains, but rather people. Pitting you against robots proved to be quite difficult, thus explaining why you wound up in general studies.”

“I see. My sincerest apologies Shinso.” Shiozaki said while bowing. “I was disrespectful. I should never have judged you solely on your quirk alone. That was wrong of me, I pray you will every forgive me.”

“Sure” Shinso said with smirk. Brainwashing was a weird name for his quirk. I would guess “Mind Control” would be a better choice. When I think of brainwashing, I think of someone removing another person’s memory.

“Returning back to the cavalry battle, I have a plan that might work.” Claude began explaining his plan to his teammates and tried to avoid having other teams eavesdropping. 

“Formed your teams? Made your plans? Too bad if you haven’t!” I glanced the arena, most people stuck with people they know. We were probably the only team to combine multiple classes.

“You guys ready?” asked Shinso.
Shiozaki and Claude looked up at him and nodded. The crowd counted down the cavalry battle has officially begun.