Change Time

Annette is working on her garden. I slip through the front door and quietly walk away from the house. Once the house is no longer in view, I begin running as fast as I can. My head is pounding, but not because of the running. It’s because of my quirk.

“I want to go home.” As the words fly around my head, I begin to grow hesitant. “Mommy and Daddy don’t love me. They got rid of me.” I stop running and look around. I don’t know where I am. Unsure what to do, I keep walking.

I find myself in a big city. My head is still pounding, so I walk into a nearby alleyway. I lean against the wall and grab my head. The pounding grows and grows.

“Please leave me alone!” I shout, sliding to the floor. My head begins to hurt, until all feeling disappears. I try to move but can’t.

“I will do what I want.” Said my body. The other person in my head has taken over. My body starts running out of the alleyway and around the city. We can see heroes on patrol and people enjoying their day. We pass by a playground where we can see other kids playing. They’re kicking two balls around.

“I want to go play with them” I thought, not that anything would change. We walk past the playground and into a supermarket. We roam around the isles until we find where the candy is. There we grab a candy bar. My body opens it and takes a bite. The flavor of chocolate and caramel hits my tongue. I blink a few times and wiggle my fingers. I look at where I had bit the candy. I take another bite and leave it on the shelf.

I wonder around the store, unsure what to do. I turn into an isle to see a woman who clearly doesn’t know what she’s doing, and a little girl my age. The two are holding hands. The woman is focusing on something on the shelf. The girl sees me. I wave my hand and she waves back. Her hair is tied back into a ponytail. I begin walking over to her, but the mother starts walking away. I walk away too, leaving my friend. I leave the store and try to find a place to go.

While walking, I hear police sirens. I turn to see police cars passing. I follow the police cars to see where they lead me. There I find a person who is cornered by the police. He is smiling, despite his situation. His eyes flash red and his skin become covered in black slime. The slime transforms him into a huge black beast. All the police began backing away and calling for heroes. It begins walking away and grabs a bystander. The woman is screaming for help while the family watches her get caried away.

Without thinking, I start running towards the villain. My legs are moving on their own. I’m able to wiggle my fingers so I know it’s still me. I approach the beast with no plan. I run up to its foot and start punching it.

“Let her go!” I shout. The beast looks at me and reaches down to grab me. But before it does, something causes it to fall. The beast turns back into a person and the woman is reunited with her family. Someone picks me up from behind. I don’t react for some reason. I’m carried into an alleyway and somehow fly to the roof of the building. The building is five stories tall.

The person puts me down. “What were you doing kid? You could’ve been killed!” She spoke. I look at the person who saved me. She has black hair tied into a braid. Her eyes are purple, and the whites of her eyes are black. She’s wearing skinny black pants and a skinny purple shirt that covers her arms. Around her neck is a silver chain necklace. There are purple stripes that go around the ankles and black stripes that go around the wrists.

“I don’t have the ability to think for myself anymore.” I replied.

The hero gives me a strange look. “So… you had no intention of moving?” She’s trying to wrap her head around my situation. I shake my head. The hero smiles. “Something like that happened to me when I was younger. I wasn’t as young as you, but I was still in primary school. I rushed into a situation without thinking and was saved by someone. That person gave me this.” The hero takes of her neckless and hands it to me.