8. Two Friends In X783

"Just for taking out some bandits?" Karissa chewed on a piece of chocolate. She averted her eyes away from the flyer to look at Gray who was seated in front of her.

"Guess he must be pretty desperate." Gray crossed his legs and propped his head up on the side next to the window.

"Still, 70,000 jewels is pretty big. This guy must be pretty rich then." Karissa covered a yawn with her sleeve.

For the past few months, Karissa had been going on jobs with Gray every now and then. They weren't a team, but because it was more fun as group, they decided to stick together sometimes, they enjoyed each other's company.

It wasn't until they became sixteen that they decided to become an on and off team. Sometimes Gray preferred going on jobs alone. Karissa did as well but also liked going on jobs with Pandora and Van every one in a while. To the girl, it was always more fun as a group, it was less lonesome and dull.

The long haired girl sighed as she sat in a criss cross manner. She paused. "My god... I can't believe we're becoming adults next year..."

Gray lifted a brow, he glanced at his friend. "Where's this coming from?" he spoke behind his fingers.

The girl only shrugged as she brushed her bangs away from her eye. "I'm just pointing it out. We're... not kids anymore." She said, almost sadly.

The boy in front of her lowered his hand and gave her a slight incredulous look. "You want to stay a kid?" his voice carried a playful tone.

"That's not what I meant." Karissa rolled her eyes. "Things are going to change when we become adults and stuff."

Her friend just laughed a little at that. "C'mon, it's not going to be a major thing. We're going to be able to do more things in life once we become adults. Trust me, it'll be fun."

"Oh yeah? Like what?"

"Well, the law can't stop me from drinking alcohol once I turn eighteen."

"At least you could wait for that unlike Cana." Karissa snickered and just put her hood on. "I'm staying the heck away from that."

"Geez, you need to get a little excited about it."

"Nah." Karissa lowered her legs and reached in her back for her headphones. "Wake me up when we get there. I'm going to sleep since I slept late last night." She told him before shutting him out of her music-only world.

Gray just chose to watch the moving scenery outside the window to pass the time. They weren't going to get off at any station to change trains. It was a one-way trip, but because the town was located somewhere further to east of Fiore, that meant that the trip was going to be a long one.

He wasn't sure how many minutes had passed but he was starting to get sleepy himself. He chided himself for not bringing something from his house to keep him busy during the ride. From his peripheral vision, he could see Karissa's head slowly falling forward and then shooting back upwards before repeating the cycle. He could just doze off right now too. He caught sight of her head thumping against the window next to her right as he looked away from her.

"Ouch." Gray whispered to himself as he lowered his hand on his lap, observing her for a few seconds. Then with a soft sigh, he grabbed his bag as he stood up to sit next to her. He gently reached for the side of her head and nudged it towards him so she could rest her head on his shoulder in a way where she wouldn't feel uncomfortable with her headphones.

He crossed his arms over his chest and leaned back as stared at the window again.

There was some chatter coming from somewhere in the cabin that accompanied the usual sound of the moving train. Still, his ears were more focused on the soft ballad. Her music was leaking out of her headphones. The gentle music had his eyelids feeling heavier and heavier.