28. Just The Two Of Us Away From Rain

YEAR X778
AGE 12

...

...

...

It was raining hard.

Gray and Karissa were sitting together at a square shelter in the park. The sudden squall caught them off guard when they were walking by so they had no choice but to run under the closest shade. Thankfully, they weren't too wet to get sick.

Earlier it was snowing and then suddenly it rained, really weird.

Why did it have to rain like this on this day?

Karissa kicked off her boots and propped her legs on the bench when she leaned back against the wall. Next to her, Gray was leaning on the table as his arm supported his head, his cheek resting in his palm. From where she sat, she could see the melancholic look on his face as memories of the past played in his mind. On this terrible rainy day, it was Ur's death anniversary.

With a sigh through her nose, she rested her head on top of the small wall behind her and stared up at the ceiling proving shelter. Her fingers locked in front of her ankles.

Gray turned his head in his palm to look back at her, wondering why she sighed. He found her just staring up at the ceiling, her neck exposed to him from the stretch.

"What's wrong?"

"Hm?"

She lifted her head lazily to meet his stare.

"Oh, it's nothing. We're just surrounded by nothing but rain on this day. Pretty gloomy."

He blinked and then hummed. "I guess." He mumbled before turning his attention back in front of him, watching the harsh rain pelt the ground.

His heart was still pretty fragile when it came to Ur's death. In the last four years, Karissa managed to steel her heart when it came to Ur and also forgive Gray for his mistake. It was just taking a little longer for him since it was his fault. She could only wonder how Lyon felt on this day wherever he was.

Discreetly, she shuffled a little closer to Gray and gently brushed off some snow that was still sticking on top of his head. Once more, he turned to her and she stopped her gently brushing.

"Snow."

"Oh."

The feeling of her fingers gently brushing off snow from his hair made him less tense, it made him close his eyes for a minute, he did her a favor and leaned his head in her direction so she could finish the job. Karissa noted how he was pretty docile.

"There we go." She leaned back against the wall to lock her fingers in front of her ankles again.

He put down his arm on the table and sighed softly, his eyes still closed.

Karissa decided to keep her hands to herself when she saw that. Even if he was docile, she didn't want to bother him too much. She didn't want to make him upset or anything.

Just to be sure, she added more space between them and stared down at her knees quietly. The last thing she wanted was to make him upset.

However, unbeknownst to her, Gray was, once again, thinking back to what Ur once said about Karissa from her simple kind gesture.

Karissa blinked when she saw him push himself to sit back against the wall behind them. He let his head hang down, his hair falling to hide his eyes. She didn't think about it too much and stared at the rain again.