39. Mystery Scion

It was late at night. Street lights illuminated the darkness of the night that blanketed the town of Margaret. At this hour, most people were in their homes enjoying the last few hours before they decided to call it a day and sleep. But some people were still up and about, roaming around the town and most likely heading home.

Lyon Vastia was part of the latter. The trip home from his job resulted in him and his team coming back home late at night. He wanted nothing more than to eat a quick meal, wash up, and sleep. He was tired.

It was the year X785. He was 20 years old now.

And today marked the first year since Fairy Tail had gone missing.

While the majority of people began to give up on finding any signs of Fairy Tail, Lamia Scale, Blue Pegasus, and what is left Fairy Tail still didn't give up on hope. Lamia Scale and Blue Pegasus were beginning to cooperate in the search for anything related to the island at all.

Lyon sighed a white breath in the cold night. He didn't want to give up hope either. Even if he would never openly admit in front of their faces, especially towards the one he appears to dislike, he cared about them a lot. Hearing the news, a year ago, made his heart drop, and immediately, he wanted to know if they were on the island at that time. When he found that they were indeed there during the attack, he honestly had a hard time sleeping at night.

As Lyon rounded the corner of the street, he raised his hand and covered his mouth to let out a soft yawn. He was tired.

However, as he approached his house, he noticed a figure standing by his door. He quirked an eyebrow as he continued on, alerting the person of his presence. They were wearing a long blue cloak and their face was hidden by a hood. As if that wasn't suspicious enough, they turned to look at Lyon, and they simply stood there. This prompted Lyon to stop in his tracks and narrow his eyes.

"Who are you?" Lyon demanded.

The figure lifted a hand as a sign of peace and then proceeded to throw off their hood.

Lyon's eyes widened immensely as he took in their features.

It was a woman.

Ur?

"Good evening."

"I'll ask you again," Lyon took a cautious step back. "Who are you?"

"My name is Ultear. I'm Ur's daughter." She introduced herself.

"Ur's daughter is dead."

"People made her believe that her daughter died. I'm still alive." She spoke as if uninterested in the subject. Then, two figures stepped out an alleyway. They were wearing the same garb as the woman Ultear. Their faces were revealed too. A young girl with pink hair and green eyes with a young boy with orange hair and pink eyes. "And these two are Meldy and Lukius. We're part of an independent guild called Crime Sorcière. We're not here to hurt you."

"You're not an official guild?"

"Due to our sins, we cannot be recognized as one. Our only goal is to atone by doing what's right."

Lyon didn't think of lowering his guard even for a second.

"The three of us were once part of Grimoire Heart." Lyon's eyes narrowed when she mentioned the familiar guild. "As you know, Grimoire Heart attacked Tenrou Island prior to Acnologia's attack. Obviously, we know Gray and Karissa." Ultear looked solemn for a second. "I fought Gray, and he helped me realize a truth which is why I am now doing what I'm doing."

Ultear raised her hand and suddenly made a manila folder appear in her hands. "This brings me to why I'm visiting you tonight." She looked over to Lukius and held out the folder to him. Quickly, he jogged over to his adoptive mother and took it carefully from her hand. He then wearily walked over to Lyon to give him the folder. The ice mage hesitated to take it, staring at the boy's visible pink eye that showed nothing but cautiousness. This way of handing Lyon the folder was the safest way for both sides. If Lyon attacked with ice, Ultear would just make his ice vanish. Lyon was safe from harm since the obvious threat was several feet away from him too.