23. Rough Start

Wendy glanced around curiously as the others just gaped at the sight of her.

...

...

Jura nodded and turned to look at everyone. "Now that all the guilds are accounted for..."

Karissa arched a brow at how unfazed he was. It was either he doesn't really care or he knows not to judge right away.

"We've got a massive punitive mission, and they send one child alone... what can Cait Shelter be thinking?"

Karissa tipped her head and watched as a small white cat started walking into the building as Sherry spoke. It didn't look like your typical cat that walked on four legs. No. This one was dressed in clothes and walking on two legs. She knew a similar cat who walked on two instead of four.

"Oh, but she isn't alone Miss Garish Woman." The cat spoke with a slight miff leaking from her tone, causing Wendy to whip around in surprise. "Carla! You followed me here?!"

The white cat known as Carla only crossed her arms and gave Wendy a look. "Of course I did! I'd be overcome with worry were you alone."

"Oh... well, thank you." Wendy shyly smile, but then she remembered about the alliance members standing behind her. She blinked and her gaze slid around nervously after she turned to face them again. "U-Um, I know that I'm really useless in any kind of battle... but I know a lot of support magic that I'm sure will help. So... So please don't leave me out!"

Carla sighed and pointed at her with a disapproving finger. "It's that weakness of spirit that allows others to dismiss you."

Karissa blinked and watched Wendy look so worried and shy. It made her feel empathetic towards the young girl. When she was a fresh teen, she used to worry a lot more about how others perceived her and how people might leave her out because she wasn't good at socializing with others. However, unlike Wendy, she did a better job at concealing her worries.

"Excuse us, we were surprised," Erza spoke to reassure Wendy. "But we haven't the slightest intention of leaving you out. Glad to have you with us, Wendy."

"That girl is going to grow into a real babe." Karissa heard Ren speak which only made her sweat drop. She watched Hibiki walk up to Wendy and bring her towards the couch that they somehow managed to bring back out. The Trimens were acting as hosts again just like they did for Lucy and Erza.

This is freaking weird.

"Again with this clown fest. I wonder, would this be considered pedophilia?" Karissa mumbled impatiently, her gaze sliding away with exasperation.

"Wendy..." Natsu murmured, making Gray and Karissa look at him curiously.

"What is it, Natsu?" Gray asked him, his hands in his jacket's pockets. Natsu frowned and crossed his arms, tipping his head a little to think. "I have a feeling I've heard that name somewhere before... Hmm," he closed his eyes for a few seconds before turning to the Fairy Tail ice mages. "Can you guys remember for me?"

"Hell no!" Gray snapped, looking at him with disbelief.

Karissa face palmed. "We don't share a brain together." She let her hand slip off her face lazily. "But can we seriously just get to the mission?"

"Yes, we should." Jura had heard her and nodded in agreement. He looked at the Ichiya who was fixing his hair and gave him a nod as a signal to the start of the mission briefing. Ichiya stepped up and posed in the center, gathering everyone's attention. "Allow me to explain the mission." He said seriously. He paused. Then he started shuffling away. "But, first a trip to the little boy's room to smell the perfume there."