24. Skirmish

Gray and Karissa versus Racer? Yeah, that wasn't going too well.

Karissa slammed back into a tree with a groan. While her body slid to the ground, she saw Racer kick Gray and he ended up slamming back into a tree as well.

God, this guy is hella fast.

So far, they were able to block Racer from going after Natsu and Carla with their fast molding magic. But that was literally the only thing they could do. They couldn't land a single hit on the guy. Even when Karissa would try to move faster than Racer with her wind magic, he'd somehow always get to her. His speed magic really was that great.

Karissa sent wind arcs after him but Racer just zig zagged his way up a tree and dodged all the wind arcs that carved into the wood. The girl clicked her tongue in annoyance. This guy was a real pain in the ass. Her eyes were focused on the enemy until she noticed something fly up in the air above the trees.

"He saved them!" Gray proclaimed in relief. Happy and Carla were flying Natsu and Wendy away.

Racer couldn't believe what he was seeing. He clenched his fists tightly. "Damn it! You're not going anywhere!" he dashed up the tree branches and flew out of the leaves, leaping towards them. Gray shouted at them to dodge albeit it proved to be futile since Racer already knocked them down with all his might by the time he said that. Happy, Carla, Wendy and Natsu were crashing.

Karissa quickly extended her arm and let a wind current fly underneath them to catch their fall. She ran towards them and noticed how Carla, Happy and Wendy were out cold. That wasn't good.

"Natsu! Keep going!" Karissa shouted at him and swiveled around to block their path. Natsu groaned and picked up his allies and made a mad dash towards the path they all took. Karissa narrowed her eyes at Racer who was getting closer.

"I said, you're not going anywhere!"

Karissa growled and got ready to use ice. That is until a giant wall of ice shot up in between her and Racer at the last moment. Her eyes widened when she saw him try to slow down only to stumble and crash into the ice rather painfully. She saw Gray standing on the other side, breathing heavily from the spent magic power. The tall wall of ice extended extremely far. It was an impressive spell. Sometimes, Karissa forgot just how amazing Gray was when it came to making his ice. She would be staring up at it in awe if there wasn't an enemy around.

"Gray!" Natsu exclaimed.

Karissa took just a few steps closer to the wall of ice, she was just a little worried since she could see how much that spell alone drained him.

"Karissa... I want you to take them to Erza. You can get there fast with your wind magic."

Karissa stared at his back through the ice. Erza was definitely their priority, but she was still worried about him.

"You used up too much of your magic power!" Natsu argued.

"Who cares?! Just get going! I'll die before I let him get beyond this point! Just get to Erza!"

Karissa inhaled deeply and hardened herself. As she exhaled, she made Natsu levitated high up in the air and then she flew near the ice wall to rest her back against it.

Karissa looked up at Natsu. "I'll be back to help you."

Gray chuckled and glimpsed at her. "The fight might be over by then."

Karissa kicked back against the ice and rapidly flew upwards where Natsu was and started going back the way they came to save Erza.

"Erza's going to live! You can bet on it!" the dragon slayer yelled as he got taken away by Karissa's magic.