14. Wrapping Things Up

They ended up outside the cave at a rocky part of the beach.

Karissa inhaled the fresh air while Natsu jumped with joy now that their S-Class quest was 'over'. False. It wasn't. She knew it wasn't over now that she was recalling all the events that transpired.

Karissa was leaning on the rock that Lyon, who was escorted out of the cave, was sitting back against as she watched the Lucy look hopeful. She was about to say something until she heard the girl say something so ridiculous.

"Do you think they'll let us on the second floor now?!"

The black haired girl's hand shot up to muffle a laugh. Lyon slightly glanced up at her and watched her shake her head in amusement. There was no way that was going to happen any time soon.

Erza looked at the rule breakers with a dirty look and it instantly made them shut up.

After this, we're probably getting nowhere close to the second floor anytime soon.

Lucy held her head in despair as her optimism flew out the window. "Right... There's still a punishment in store for us!"

"But isn't there something you need to do first?" Erza asked them, "Wasn't the real objective of this job to help the villagers who've been transformed into demons? The S-Class quest isn't over yet."

"B-But Deliora is dead," Lucy turned to look at Karissa who was staring blankly back at her. "Karissa thought that the village's curse was coming from a source. That source must have been Deliora!"

"No." Karissa shook her head. "You heard your celestial spirit, she said that their bodies had been contaminated by being exposed to the Moon Drip." Karissa's eyes shifted to look up.

But yet, I'm starting to think she might be wrong.

Because if we look at Lyon's followers AND Lyon himself then something doesn't add up.

None of them look like demons.

The blonde sighed and rubbed her forehead with her hand. "So... how do we heal them now?"

Gray turned towards Lyon. "Hey, Lyon!"

The older ice mage stared blankly with those slanted eyes of his, "I have no idea, just so you know."

Karissa put her hand under her chin and narrowed her eyes, "Lyon's group hasn't been affected by the Moon Drip despite spending much more time exposed to it. They still look very human." She looked down at him. "How long have you been here for?"

"Three years." He replied. "But we never interacted with the villagers. They never once came to see us, either." He added and then looked to the side. "It's as you said, we've been exposed to the same light for three years and yet we haven't changed one bit. I have some doubts about the Moon Drip's influences on the human body."

"He's right." Karissa looked at Erza and Lucy. "You saw the people of Brago. No horns or anything like that."

"Right. That's true." Lucy put a hand under her chin thoughtfully. "Things aren't adding up..."

"And I'm starting to think there might not even be a curse..." Karissa muttered to herself but she was sure Lyon heard her due to their proximity. She put her hands in her pockets and paused.

Right... I forgot I brought this.

"Be careful. They're hiding something." Lyon then shrugged. "But anyway, this is guild work now."

The others began making their way back to the village but Gray and Karissa lagged behind to turn their attention back to Lyon. The older of the three looked at Gray in surprise before narrowing his eyes at him. "What are you looking at?"