Part 5 - Practices

Enjoy!

"I'm feeling generous today so this will be a free period." Ms. Sasaki, the Japanese Literature teacher announces and I hear the whole class sigh in relief. Everyone begins to talk amongst themselves and I glance at the clock. Only an hour until lunch and then 2 hours before practice then I can go home. It's Thursday so everyone is kinda done for the week.

"N/N. Come sit with us." Iwa calls out from the other side of he room where he and Oikawa are sitting down by the window. I nod and grab my notebook, textbook  and pencil case then walk over. When I get there I sit on the window ledge and put my elbows on my knees.

"Interhigh start in 2 weeks." Iwa says as he closes his books. 

"We better start practising harder now." I say and Iwa and I both glance at Oikawa, waiting for him to say something.

"Let's kick Ushiwaka's ass." Oikawa smirks. "But first Karasuno."

================================================================================

2 WEEKS BEFORE THE INTERHIGH TOURNEY 

"Good for you N/N." Iwa says as he walks up to me with a towel wrapped around his neck. We are having free practice for the rest of practice today so they can focus on their weak spots.

"What did I do exactly?" I ask as I right down the amount of spiked balls Yahaba is able to get.

"Y'know you and Oikawa are way better now, you guys are talking again. Makes it a lot easier for your friends to spend time with you two at the same time. No awkward silence." Iwa teases and I pinch his arm and stick my tongue out at him.

"Whatever go back to practice with your porcupine head." I smirk and push him away.

"W-What do you mean porcupine hair!?" Iwa yells and the whole team hears and the third years start snickering.

I walk around the gym until I stop at Watari and write down how many sets he was able to make.

Who's gonna do this when the third years are gone? I guess I'll need to start searching after this tournament.

================================================================================

1 DAY  BEFORE THE INTERHIGH TOURNEY

"Okay boys! The tourney is tomorrow  so you better practice hard. I ordered the tape of our practice match with Karasuno and its here already . After school I'll give you all of the details about what will be happening tomorrow." I announce as I hand out the bottles of water.

"Okay boys once you are done stretching start, laps outside and then move onto free practice." Oikawa says and the boys nod. It's the begging of lunch so we have 45 more minutes of free practice and then we have practice after school.  

"I'm gonna go wash the banner." I say as I take the folded piece of cloth to the second floor where the washing and drying machines are.  I make my way through the hallways and reach the second year floor and continue my walk to the cleaning rooms.

"Oh sorry." I say as I bump into someone, I hear them growl and my ears perk up. "Kyotani?" I ask and I hear another growl. "I know you don't like talking with me but just know that the team is going to the Interhigh Tourney. It's too late for you to come because I already filed in the paper work and roster but once it's done we would like you to come back on the team. You're a talented guy." I smile and I see the boy's eyes widen an he nods before walking off.

================================================================================

"Don't stay up to late Oikawa." Iwa says sternly  as I pull out the Karasuno match tape from his bag with a sigh.

"Iwa what are you my mother?" Oikawa jokes, Iwa goes red and my lips form a line, waiting for the insults to be thrown at the setter. "WAIT IM SORRY! I'LL SLEEP EARLY I SWEAR AND IN THE MORNING I'LL BE BRIGHT EYED AND AWARE I PROMISE!" Oikawa apologizes and Iwaizumi rolls his eyes. 

"Fine Loserkawa but hurry up so Y/N can lock up the club room!" Iwa says.

"You  guys can go I will  lock up." Oikawa says as he takes the clubroom key from me.

"Are you sure?" I ask and the setter nods quickly. 

"Yup! We need our manager and ace in tip top shape tomorrow." Oikawa says as he pushes Iwa and I out the door. "Make sure our manager gets home safe Iwa!" Oikawa yells as he closes the door. After the door closes Iwa and I look at each other and sigh before we start walking home. 

"He's gonna stay up late watching that tape." I sigh and Iwa does as well.

"How have you guys been doing? You two seem a lot less awkward now." Iwa asks as we exit the school gates. It's getting warmer now it's almost spring time.

"We are more comfortable around each other now. We agreed to stay friends but we...we still have feelings for each other." I say quietly and Iwa puts  his hand on my head.

"You guys are gonna be fine. I mean, as long as you guys are there for each other right?" 

"I guess you're right." Iwa is one of my best friends. When we go off to college I hope we all keep in touch.

================================================================================

"Oikawa? Why are you calling me at one in the morning?" I yawn into my phone and I hear Oikawa let out a sigh.

"I-I can't sleep." He says shyly and I soften. He always gets like this the night before a tournament. He gets all exited like a little kid before Christmas Day. "Can you tell me things about your family?" He alway asks this when he can't sleep. I guess it helps him relax.

"Okay but only until you get sleepy because you need to be in the best condition tomorrow." I say and Oikawa hums into the phone. "Okay good."

For an hour we exchange stories about our families that we have already told each other countless times but we act like its the first time hearing them.