CHAPTER 17

August 6, 1973

"Astrid chérie viens c'est l'heure du petit déjeuner" Shouted Astrid's Mother in a mix of french and broken English from downstairs "Your going to be late for your dress fitting."

Astrid rushed down from her bedroom entering the patio where her family sat for breakfast on warm mornings.

The usual hot Marseille sun breaming down in them.

"Bonjour maman, bonjour papa, bonjour Gia" Astrid said smiling as she sat down, ready to feast on the variety of breakfast foods Ida had laid out for them.

"Bonjour Astrid," her sister said back smiling in excitement, "Do you know what day it is today?"

Astrid thought for a moment, enjoying watching Gia's excitement "Um is it the last day of school, oh wait that was two weeks ago." she teased.

Gia punched Astrid playfully before motioning to the birthday badge clasped on her shirt and the balloons behind her chair.

Astrid grinned "joyeux anniversaire" she said giving her a hug "Happy 18th birthday Gia."

***

"Ahh Miss Winston, your late." Slughorn tutted as Astrid rushed into potions on Monday morning "Not a terrific start to the year."

The rest of their winter break had been a whirl, leaving Astrid limited time to adjust to a normal sleep schedule.

"I know, five points from Gryffindor," Astrid muttered as she sat in her seat next to Regulus "I'm sorry sir, it won't happen again."

"I should hope not, but as well as points being taken, I'm adding another week to your punishment." Slughorn continued walking up to the blackboard "And lucky for you, over the break the owls dropped a substantial amount of mail for you to collect."

Sirius and James burst out laughing at Astrid's dismay.

"Mr Potter and Mr Black are you offering to help Miss Winston." Slughorn teased as the entire class laughed at their shock.

"No sir." the two said quickly, shaking their heads.

"As I thought," Slughorn said, whilst Astrid turned to the boys behind her and gave them the finger "Now class open up your text books and turn to page 207, we will be going over Polyjuice potions, and although we can not do this as a practical due to the time it takes to make the potion, we will be reviewing the final instructions"

The class groaned as turned to the page in their textbook as Slughorn placed out all the ingredients with a wave of his wand.

"Watch the steps completely you will have a test on it next week, and as a treat at the end of class we will be swapping the appearance of two of your classmates with a sample of the potion I've already made." Slughorn continued as everyone walked up to front table, hovering over the brewing potion.

They watched as the professor added a variety of ingredients, taking notes as fast as they could, all apart from Severus who watched half heartedly.

"Taking notes Mr Snape?" Slughorn asked as all attention turned to Severus "I should hope so, since this is a very complicated potion."

Severus raised an eyebrow "So complicated that you forgot to add a quarter ounce of dung beetle paste, sir."

Slughorn looked down at his ingredients before looking up smiling "Sharp eye Severus."

Snape looked proud as Slughorn added the missing ingredient "Its obvious whose paying attention and whose not," Severus leered turning back to James.