|1.7| Nicolas Flamel

***

IF THERE WAS ONE thing Hermione wasn't good at, it was Chess. Chess was the only thing Hermione ever lost at, something Harry and Ron thought was very good for her. 

Grace watched the game between Hermione and Ron silently, she had opted to watch rather than play, because she too was rubbish at Chess. The door of the common room opened and Harry walked in looking really terrible. 

"What happened to you?" Grace asked him looking worried. 

"What's the matter with you?" Ron asked once he caught sight of Harry's face. "You look terrible." 

Speaking quietly so that no one else would hear, Harry told the other three about Snape's sudden, sinister desire to be a Quidditch referee.

"Don't play," said Hermione at once.

"Say you're ill," said Ron.

"Pretend to break your leg," Grace suggested.

"Really break your leg," said Ron.

"I can't," said Harry. "There isn't a reserve Seeker. If I back out, Gryffindor can't play at all."

At that moment Neville toppled into the common room. How he had managed to climb through the portrait hole was anyone's guess, because his legs had been stuck together with what they recognized at once as the Leg-Locker Curse. He must have had to bunny hop all the way up to Gryffindor tower.

Everyone fell over laughing except Hermione and Grace, who leapt up and performed the countercurse. Neville's legs sprang apart and he got to his feet, trembling. 

"What happened?" Grace asked him, leading him over to sit with Harry, Ron and Hermione.

"Malfoy," said Neville shakily. "I met him outside the library. He said he'd been looking for someone to practice that on."

"Go to Professor McGonagall!" Hermione urged Neville. "Report him!"

Neville shook his head.

"I don't want more trouble," he mumbled.

"You've got to stand up to him, Neville!" said Ron. "He's used to walking all over people, but that's no reason to lie down in front of him and make it easier."

"There's no need to tell me I'm not brave enough to be in Gryffindor, Malfoy's already done that," Neville choked out.

Harry took out a chocolate frog from his pocket and gave it to Neville, who looked as though he might cry.