|6.17| Birthday Surprises

***

THE MISSION DUMBLEDORE HAD given the two Gryffindors wasn't as straightforward as it appeared. In the next potions class, they were told to make antidote for poisons and Harry had again impressed Slughorn by showing him bezoar, which was the antidote of most poisons. Grace and Harry had then stayed back and had only muttered the word 'Horcruxes,' and Slughorn had gone pale and exploded in rage at them before storming out. Hermione was seething at the way Harry had triumphed without doing the work properly and Ron was resentful that Harry hadn't slipped him a bezoar too.

Grace and Harry decided that, for the time being, they would let Slughorn think that they had forgotten all about Horcruxes; it was surely best to lull him into a false sense of security before returning to the attack.

Meanwhile, the Hogwarts library had failed Hermione for the first time in living memory. She was so shocked, she even forgot that she was annoyed at Harry for his trick with the bezoar.

"I haven't found one single explanation of what Horcruxes do!" she told Grace and Harry. "Not a single one! I've been right through the restricted section and even in the most horrible books, where they tell you how to brew the most gruesome potions — nothing! All I could find was this, in the introduction to Magick Moste Evile — listen — 'Of the Horcrux, wickedest of magical inventions, we shall not speak nor give direction. . ..' I mean, why mention it then?" she said impatiently, slamming the old book shut; it let out a ghostly wail. "Oh, shut up," she snapped, stuffing it back into her bag.

The snow melted around the school as February arrived, to be replaced by cold, dreary wetness. Purplish-gray clouds hung low over the castle and a constant fall of chilly rain made the lawns slippery and muddy. The upshot of this was that the sixth years' first Apparition lesson, which was scheduled for a Saturday morning so that no normal lessons would be missed, took place in the Great Hall instead of in the grounds.

When Grace, Harry and Hermione arrived in the Hall (Ron had come down with Lavender), they found that the tables had disappeared. Rain lashed against the high windows and the enchanted ceiling swirled darkly above them as they assembled in front of Professors McGonagall, Snape, Flitwick, and Sprout — the Heads of Houses — and a small wizard whom Grace took to be the Apparition instructor from the Ministry. He was oddly colorless, with transparent eyelashes, wispy hair, and an insubstantial air, as though a single gust of wind might blow him away.

"Good morning," said the Ministry wizard, when all the students had arrived and the Heads of Houses had called for quiet. "My name is Wilkie Twycross and I shall be your Ministry Apparition instructor for the next twelve weeks. I hope to be able to prepare you for your Apparition Tests in this time —"