|5.4| The Prefect Badge

***

ON THE VERY LAST DAY of the holidays Grace was sweeping up Phantom's owl droppings from the top of the wardrobe when Hermione entered their bedroom carrying a couple of envelopes.

"Booklists have arrived," She said, giving one of the envelopes up to Harry, who was standing on a chair. "About time. They usually come much earlier than this."

Grace swept the last of the droppings into a rubbish bag and put the bag into the wastepaper basket in the corner. She then opened his letter: It contained two pieces of parchment, one the usual reminder that term started on the first of September, the other telling her which books she would need for the coming year.

And suddenly Hermione jumped, making the books next to her fall on the ground. Grace looked at her surprised. 

"You alright?" said Grace looking at Hermione gaping at her letter like a fish. 

"I'm -- I'm a prefect." said Hermione looking up. "Oh, I'm a prefect!"

"Really?" said Grace excited as she moved next to her and examined the badge. "Well, no surprise there."

"Oh I thought it was going to be you," said Hermione. "Since you've fought hundred dementors and all that. . ."

"Hermione," Grace said amused. "You deserve it. You're the reason why Harry, Ron and I haven't died yet."

Hermione smiled and then gasped. 

"I bet Harry became prefect too!"

Before Grace could say anything, Hermione grabbed her arm and pulled her out of the door and toward Harry's and Ron's room. She swung open the door and it hit the wall with a loud bang. Fred, George, Ron and Harry were staring at he prefect badge in Harry's hand, shocked. 

"Did you — did you get — ?"

She spotted the badge in Harry's hand and let out a shriek.

"I knew it!" she said excitedly, brandishing her letter. "Me too, Harry, me too!"

"No," said Harry quickly, pushing the badge back into Ron's hand. "It's Ron, not me."

"What?" said Grace and Hermione together.

"Ron's prefect, not me," Harry said.

"Ron?" said Hermione, her jaw dropping. "But . . . are you sure? I mean —"