|6.11| A legendry folklore

***

GRACE HAD NEVER BEEN to Faroe Islands nor had she ever met anyone on her mother's side of family. But she seemed to be spending a lot of time in the place which the Abildgaard's owned, the place which she has never visited other than her dreams. 

This dome-shaped building, which was called 'the Temple of Auðhelga', was as empty and magnificent as ever. Just like last time, the walls were lined with dull wallpaper that depicted a centuries old legend, with paintings of armored men and women and green and red streaks of light, with giants and blood and spiders. But in every one painting, there was this one woman who stood in the middle of everything, who led the armies and who forged the peace.

Grace realised this was the first time she had actually focused on the paintings. In every other dream before, her clone appeared and stabbed her. But in this one, it seemed to be absent. The more she tried to understand the painting, she more she realised that this story was familiar to her; she recognised it in her bones like it was a part of her, like it was something that completed her. 

The right side of the wall depicted only battles and deaths and kingdom falling apart; the woman seemed to be a queen and a warrior, she had led her forces in battle but the other side was extremely strong; it had dark forces with them. The dark forces continued to take over the kingdom's one by one and killed many innocents and muggleborns. Grace noticed that the painting depicting the old battle was titled. Instead of English, there were runes engraved on the wall in golden. And even though Grace had never learned this language or heard or seen it ever before, she recognised it. It was Old Norse, and the runes were Elder Furthark. 

ᛏᚺᛖ ᛒᚨᛏᛏᛚᛖ ᛟᚠ ᚢᛇᛏᛏᚠᚨᛜ

If translated it English, it would be called, The Battle of Vættfang   *(vaetvang)*

The next painting showed the woman going into the forest and praying to mother nature to protect them, to give her the strength to defeat the darkness. Then mother nature appeared in the form of forest nymph and blessed the woman with a magic so strong that no evil could defeat. Now stronger than ever, she was able to defeat the dark side. 

The story continued on the right side. This section on the wall of this temple depicted more darkness than any other part. Even though the other side was defeated, the darkness remained. It haunted the people and the plague spread in the whole country; no one knew its origin or solution. There was death everywhere and no joy. The woman consulted many healers, many great witches and wizards, but no one was able to cure the disease. Then one day she called her most trusted witches and wizards in the her court. She told them she had found a cure to this endless plague; and it was through her death. And so the preparation was made. The woman used a dagger, the same one with which Grace was stabbed every time in her dream, realised Grace with a surprise. Her magic exploded out of her and created a protection spell around their country, expelling all the darkness out.