|7.1| Opal Gem Protection

***

THE DARKNESS WAS EVERYWHERE. She could see the shadows more frequently now, looming in the corners, crawling on the floor, whispering to her. 

She could see them in her dreams, enveloping her, surrounding her in pitch darkness. 

They were just there, looking as sinister as ever. Doing nothing, just hanging in the corner, whispering. 

Freya Black — while sitting at her window sill, staring at out at the opal blue sky — had finally figured out what those wretched shadows meant. 

They were Death. Darkness. War. 

They were the signs that darkness was taking over their world and Death was knocking on their doors and a war was a step ahead. The more the darkness grew, the more deaths and more frequently she saw those shadows. 

Grace wondered, what she was going to say to her supposed Uncle and Aunt when she would arrive in Denmark. Did they even know she existed? And if yes — then why hadn't they ever tried to contact her? 

Her father, Sirius, had told her in the summer of her fifth year, that her mother never quite liked to talk about her family. She had never got on with her parents, and even though she loved her brother, they weren't that close. 

What if she reached Denmark and they refused to see her? She knew had to find answer, but how? To whom would she ask? 

These questions had haunted her ever since the day she had returned from the Platform Nine and Three-quarters. She hadn't a peaceful moment ever since the day she arrived home. Her thoughts were plagued with worries, questions and anger.

Tonks and Remus had gotten married. Their wedding was small, peaceful yet wonderful. Grace, who was Tonks maid of honor, had cried through the entire ceremony. Though she didn't know why the tears continued to stream down her face. Maybe because it was so beautifully overwhelming. Her heart had swelled with the thought of them getting together, that even in these dark times, there was some happiness in this world.

And now with only a week until Bill and Fleur's wedding, she was feeling strangely very happy. She was frequently struck by an overwhelming desire to cry anytime she saw something lovely. Even a sunset could make her cry happy tears, and once when she saw Fleur and Bill talking about their wedding, she went to her room and cried because she thought their love for each other was too beautiful. Ron was so alarmed by this, that the next day he asked whether she was pregnant. She had whacked him on the head, hard.

As Grace stood from her place, staring at her bed — which was currently piled with clothing and materials — her gaze wandered over to her closet, where her Hogwarts uniform sat, hanging. And just next to her, were her Quidditch robes, which were now ripped from many places from all the times she had been hurt while playing. She sighed. She knew she wouldn't be returning to Hogwarts anytime soon and neither she could play Quidditch anymore.