|4.11| Grace's Fury

***

IT TURNED OUT THAT Grace had been wrong about Ron. Hermione had of course believe Harry, but Ron hadn't. The next day she met Harry in the common room and it took some time to get out of there. As they walked resolutely over to the portrait hole, pushed it open, climbed out of it, and found themselves face-to-face with Hermione.

"Hello," she said, holding up a stack of toast, which she was carrying in a napkin. "I brought you two this. . . . Want to go for a walk?"

"Good idea," said Harry gratefully.

They went downstairs, crossed the entrance hall quickly without looking in at the Great Hall, and were soon striding across the lawn toward the lake, where the Durmstrang ship was moored, reflected blackly in the water. It was a chilly morning, and they kept moving, munching their toast, as Harry and Grace told Hermione exactly what had happened after they had left the Gryffindor table the night before. To Harry's immense relief, Hermione accepted his story without question.

"Well, of course I knew you hadn't entered yourself," she said when he'd finished telling her about the scene in the chamber off the Hall. "The look on your face when Dumbledore read out your name! But the question is, who did put it in? Because Moody's right, Harry . . . I don't think any student could have done it . . . they'd never be able to fool the Goblet, or get over Dumbledore's —"

"Have you seen Ron?" Harry interrupted.

Hermione hesitated.

"Erm . . . yes . . . he was at breakfast," she said.

"Does he still think I entered myself?"

"Well . . . no, I don't think so . . . not really," said Hermione awkwardly.

"What's that supposed to mean, 'not really'?" said Harry.

Hermione looked at Grace for help, obviously uncomfortable in saying the truth.

"Oh Harry, isn't it obvious?" Grace said despairingly. "He's jealous!"

"Jealous?" Harry said incredulously. "Jealous of what? He wants to make a prat of himself in front of the whole school, does he?"

"Look," said Grace patiently, "it's always you who gets all the attention, you know it is. I know it's not your fault," she added quickly, seeing Harry open his mouth furiously. "I know you don't ask for it . . . but — well — you know, Ron's got all our brothers to compete against at home, and now even me, his twin, is suddenly very famous and everyone knows me. And you're his best friend, and you're really famous too — he's always shunted to one side whenever people see you, and he puts up with it, and he never mentions it, but I suppose this is just one time too many. . . ."