|6.16| A Sluggish memory

***

LATE IN THE AFTERNOON, a few days after New Year, Grace, Harry, Ron, and Ginny lined up beside the kitchen fire to return to Hogwarts. The Ministry had arranged this one-off connection to the Floo Network to return students quickly and safely to the school. Only Molly was there to say good-bye, as Arthur, Fred, George, Bill, and Fleur were all at work. Molly dissolved into tears at the moment of parting. Admittedly, it took very little to set her off lately; she had been crying on and off ever since Percy had stormed from the house on Christmas Day with his glasses splattered with mashed parsnip (for which Fred, George, and Ginny all claimed credit).

"Don't cry, Mum," said Grace, patting her on the back as her mother sobbed into her shoulder. "It's okay. . . ."

"We're going to fine, mum." said Ginny smiling. "don't cry."

"Yeah, don't worry about us," said Ron, permitting his mother to plant a very wet kiss on his cheek, "or about Percy. He's such a prat, it's not really a loss, is it?"

Molly sobbed harder than ever as she enfolded Harry in her arms.

"Promise me you'll look after yourself. . . . Stay out of trouble. . . ."

"I always do, Mrs. Weasley," said Harry. "I like a quiet life, you know me."

She gave a watery chuckle and stood back. "Be good, then, all of you. . . ."

Grace stepped into the emerald fire and shouted "Hogwarts!" She had one last fleeting view of the Weasleys' kitchen and her mother's tearful face before the flames engulfed her; spinning very fast, she caught blurred glimpses of other Wizarding rooms, which were whipped out of sight before she could get a proper look; then she was slowing down, finally stopping squarely in the fireplace in Professor McGonagall's office. She barely glanced up from her work as Grace clambered out over the grate.

"Evening, Black. Try not to get too much ash on the carpet." 

"Yes, Professor."

Grace flattened her hair as Ron came spinning into view and then Harry. When Ginny had arrived, all four of them trooped out of McGonagall's office and off toward Gryffindor Tower. 

"Baubles," said Ron confidently, when they reached the Fat Lady, who was looking rather paler than usual and winced at his loud voice.

"No," she said.

"What d'you mean, 'no'?"

"There is a new password," she said. "And please don't shout."