|5.32| Through the Veil

***

BLACK SHAPES WERE EMERGING out of thin air all around them, blocking their way left and right; eyes glinted through slits in hoods, a dozen lit wand tips were pointing directly at their hearts. Ginny gave a gasp of horror.

"To me, Potter," repeated the drawling voice of Lucius Malfoy as he held out his hand, palm up.

Grace's insides plummeted sickeningly. They were trapped and outnumbered two to one.

"To me," said Malfoy yet again.

"Where's Sirius?" Harry said.

Several of the Death Eaters laughed. A harsh female voice from the midst of the shadowy figures to Grace's left said triumphantly, "The Dark Lord always knows!"

"Always," echoed Malfoy softly. "Now, give me the prophecy, Potter."

"I want to know where Sirius is!"

"I want to know where Sirius is!" mimicked the woman to her left.

Grace squinted her eyes at her face, and realised with a dread that she was none other than Bellatrix Lestrange.

"Shut up, Bellatrix!" Grace snarled.

Bellatrix's face twisted into an evil smile. "Isn't this my lovely cousin, Freya Black? The Dark Lord was so sure you would come here —"

"The dark lord can go to hell!" Grace snapped angrily.

"You vile girl!" Her face morphed to fury. "I'd kill you right now if the dark lord didn't want you alive!" The Death Eaters closed in on them, reducing the circle around them until they were only a few feet away.

"You've got him," said Harry. "He's here. I know he is."

"The little baby woke up fwightened and fort what it dweamed was twoo," said Bellatrix in a horrible, mock-baby voice.

"Don't do anything," Harry muttered. "Not yet —"

Bellatrix let out a raucous scream of laughter.

"You hear him? You hear him? Giving instructions to the other children as though he thinks of fighting us!"

"Oh, you don't know Potter as I do, Bellatrix," said Malfoy softly. "He has a great weakness for heroics; the Dark Lord understands this about him. Now give me the prophecy, Potter."