The Devil on My Shoulder

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

"You're taller."

There was a pause.

The Potter twins had been sitting in awkward silence for the last quarter of an hour on one of the musty sofas in the main living area of Twelve Grimmauld Place. Iris had a book held in front of her, but if asked what it was about, she wouldn't be able to answer as her eyes had hardly moved on the page since her brother had entered the room.

She had been reading alone for a while, sitting sideways on the couch with her knees pulled up before Harry had come in and hesitantly sat at the opposite end of the sofa directly in front of her eyesight, acting casual, though he seemed hardly relaxed. His whole body was tense and he looked around the room uncomfortably, his gaze occasionally landing on Iris before he would look away so as not to stare.

His comment on her height nearly made Iris jump, not expecting him to actually speak. She looked up from the advanced spell theory book Dumbledore had told her to read, meeting her brother's green eyes with her hazel.

"A bit, yeah."

Iris had grown a noticeable amount since the Summer began and was no longer shorter than everyone she knew. 

They stared at each other for a moment, neither one of them really having anything to add to the conversation. Iris' eyes flickered away from Harry's a few times before she lifted her book once more and scrunched down into the sofa cushion. She had relaxed for barely a second before the silence broke.

"Are you okay?"

Iris' book lowered again, just enough for her piercing eyes to peer over the top at her twin.

He looked nervous, fidgeting with his hands while his green eyes, identical to their mother's, flicked around, refusing to land on Iris for more than a glance.

She had to think for a moment. Iris didn't know the full answer to that question truthfully. She lowered her book all the way, closing it and holding it in her lap.

"No." Iris furrowed her eyebrows, "But I will be."

She frowned, looking to Harry who nodded in understanding, looking at her sadly. Iris then cleared her throat, giving her brother a strained smile, "I'm going to go get a glass of water..." she stood from the sofa, "See you in the morning?"

Harry pushed his glasses up his nose, standing up as well. He smiled lightly at her, "Yeah, definitely."

They walked out to the dark hallway and said goodnight before parting ways. Iris walked down the corridor, grimacing at the Black family decor that no one was able to remove. It was dark when she entered the kitchen, confirming that everyone else had already gone upstairs for bed.

Iris walked over to the row of cupboards hanging above the counter for a water glass, before realizing she had forgotten which one they were in. She started opening each cupboard door, finding plates, bowls, and other dishes until she opened one with something quite different inside.