The Great Escape Pt. 1

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

"No... No!" she muttered, eyes widening as she crouched over Sirius.

She tightened her grip, standing up, about to cast the spell when something in the corner of her eye caught Iris' attention.

"Harry! What are you doing-- run!"

But it was too late. Too late for either of them to have any chance at escaping the approaching Dementors. There were hundreds of them, and it seemed like every Dementor that had been guarding Hogwarts was now swooping down at them as Harry ran up to her side, wand out.

The twins raised their wands in sync, shouting, "Expecto Patronum!"

A thin silvery wisp wept from each of their wands, hovering like a veil, but the Dementors continued to come. Iris glanced down at her unmoving godfather and poised her wand once more:

"Expecto... Patronum"

Iris' Patronus bloomed briefly, giving her a flash of hope... and then it died. She looked to her brother, noticing Harry's eyes flutter, the Dementors twisting madly in her vision, drawing closer. Then they dove, Iris tried her best to use the Patronus charm to keep them away, but the more Dementors that smacked into it, the more it weakened her.

Finally, the dark creatures broke through the veil, diving down to each of them, seizing the three with their ice-cold grasp then giving them only a moment's break before another Dementor was back. It was agonizing, Iris could hear the screams of her parents running through her head.

Below her, Sirius gasped. Silvery feathers of light tumbled from his lips, as if his very soul were leaving him... Harry went down not a second later, eyes rolling back and forth as he fought to stay awake.

Iris suddenly felt as if she was moving in slow motion. As if every second was being dragged out into a million moments. She stared down at her brother, her best friend, as his life was threatened and then she turned back to the Dementors.

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!"

Then... a blinding light shattered from the tip of her wand.

And out burst, not a shapeless cloud of mist, but a blinding, dazzling, silver animal. She screwed up her eyes, trying to see what it was. It looked like a horse. It was galloping silently away from her, across the black surface of the lake. She saw it lower its head and charge at the swarming Dementors... It was galloping around and around the black shapes on the ground, and the Dementors were falling back, scattering, retreating into the darkness... And then, through the fog that was drowning her, she thought she saw another silvery light across the lake growing brighter and brighter...The two blinding lights were illuminating the forest around her...The screaming had stopped, the cold was ebbing away...

Her Patronus turned. It was cantering back toward Iris across the still surface of the water. It wasn't a horse. It was a unicorn. It was shining brightly as the moon above ... it was coming back to her...