The End Is Near

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

Sirius stuck a hand out and she took it, pulling herself up off the floor. As Iris looked around the room, there were several duels in progress. Accompanying Sirius were Remus, Moody, Tonks, and Kingsley.

A death eater Iris did not know ran at her and raised his wand, but Tonks had already sent a Stunning Spell right at him. Iris did not wait to see whether it had made contact but dived off the dais out of the way. The Death Eaters were completely distracted by the appearance of the members of the Order, who were now raining spells down upon them as they jumped from step to step toward the sunken floor: Through the darting bodies, the flashes of light, Iris could see Harry fighting alongside Remus. She dodged another jet of red light and ran toward him.

"Are you okay?" she yelled, as another spell soared inches over their heads.

"I should be asking you that," said Harry, staring at her in disbelief.

Iris almost laughed, but her eyes glanced behind her brother and in response, she simply said, "Duck."

Harry dove out of the way and Iris caught a spell that had been aimed for him, deflecting it. Two death eaters were aiming at her now, one of whom she recognised as Macnair, Buckbeak's almost executioner, and the other was Dolohov. Iris began exchanging curses with them, having to move twice as fast to fight both at once. Her wand was a blur as she twisted and lunged, firing one spell after another. She had broken a sweat, her mind having to run double-time to keep up with her body.

Dolohov raised his wand again. "Avada K—"

Sirius hurtled out of nowhere, rammed Dolohov with his shoulder, and sent him flying out of the way. Iris stayed engaged with Macnair. Now Sirius and Dolohov were duelling, their wands flashing like swords, sparks flying from their wand tips —

Now only fighting one, Iris overwhelmed Macnair, who seemed to have lost his nerve after he no longer had a partner. He crumpled satisfyingly to the floor.

Metres away, Dolohov drew back his wand at Sirius, but Iris beat him to the punch making a slashing motion with her wand that send a purple beam at him, knocking the man unconscious immediately.

"Nice one!" shouted Sirius, running over to her. "Now I want you to get out of —" They both ducked again. A jet of green light had narrowly missed Sirius; across the room, Iris saw Tonks fall from halfway up the stone steps, her limp form toppling from stone seat to stone seat, and Bellatrix, triumphant, running back toward the fray.

Iris and her godfather dodged a curse sent their way. They backed up, the two of them standing just near the base of the veiled archway. Rookwood sent a bolt of fire at Sirius and he swiftly blocked it and spun back into action. Caught in the crossfire, Iris and Sirius were duelling side by side. As another death eater Iris did not recognize joined the fight, she felt the corner of her mouth turning up into a smirk. She knew she probably should not have been enjoying it, but fighting beside Sirius, who let out a cackling laugh every time one of them landed a hit on an opponent, it was hard not to.