Lost and Found

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

She turned her head to look at the old wizard beside her. He gazed back with an intense curiosity, though Iris could also see sadness buried deep within his crystal blue eyes.

"Your friends have been worried. Sirius and Remus too, of course, along with your brother and myself," Dumbledore informed her, as if she wasn't already aware, "You haven't made it easy to find yourself."

Iris hummed in agreement, "I didn't want to be found."

Dumbledore nodded thoughtfully, "And yet, here you are, and here I am beside you... I have been searching for days since you went missing. For a moment I feared something horrible had happened to you— that perhaps Voldemort's followers had made a move... that is, until I was told that you had left Harry a letter in your wake." The sun had set by then, the lights of the Eiffel Tower washing over each of their faces, "I could barely believe it when I received word from an old student, now dear friend of mine, Madame Rousseau, telling me that you had come into her shop."

"I know." Iris looked down at the ground in front of her, "I knew that she had sent for you."

The elder wizard regarded Iris with a new sense of curiosity, "And yet you stayed, let me find you?"

"I'm tired of running, I guess." Iris shrugged, "I know you had people watching us at the Dursleys... every day I was there I could sense someone watching. I was upset," Iris admitted lowly, "I hate being in that house... I felt so trapped. The only thing I could think about was that night."

Iris turned back toward the Headmaster as if seeking comfort, "I felt horrible leaving Harry but it was driving me mad just sitting in there all day feeling absolutely useless."

He nodded, "Iris... I ask that you join me now in my return to Hogwarts... I believe that there are many things I must tell you."

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

Mere minutes later, the two had apparated into Hogsmeade. The many shops and houses were lit up in the dark and there were a few people walking throughout the street. In the distance, Iris could see the silhouette of Hogwarts. There were only a few lights on in the grand castle which the teenage witch assumed was due to the few Professors who chose to stay at Hogwarts over the Summer holiday.

Iris and Dumbledore began the journey down to the castle side by side. There were a couple of people here and there along the way through Hogsmeade that whispered and exchanged looks as they passed. Iris wasn't pleased by all the nasty thoughts she could hear them thinking about both herself and the Headmaster.

Noticing the growing sour look on her face, Dumbledore spoke quietly to her, "You know, Iris, this is not my first time being held under public scrutiny... No, there have been many instances over my years here as Headmaster where less than desirable things have been said about me." He looked to Iris and said seriously, "But one must not let the thoughts and opinions of others get to them. Dark and dangerous times lie ahead, Iris, and we must prepare the best we can, even if the entire wizarding world disagrees... I believe it is our duty to protect the ignorant, though they may not be deserving at times."