Goodbye and Hello

⌗ ⌗ ⌗  

 ⌗ ⌗ ⌗  

My Dearest Iris,

Oh, how I miss you! It's been much too long since we've met, and every day I find myself longing for your youthful spirit. To be young and in love, it's such a special feeling, one that I hope you never let go of.

I know what you're thinking, I always do, it's almost as if we can read each other's minds. You shouldn't think too far into this, you'll understand one day.

Don't fret, Iris. I'll see what I can do.

All my love--

"Iris!"

Her reading interrupted, she turned toward the sound of the voice calling her name. Folding the letter carefully, she tucked it back into the inner pocket of her trunk.

It had been only a few weeks since she had gotten the letter in response to the one she had sent out, but Iris read it often, trying to find some hidden answer in the words on the page.

It was Hermione who had said her name, standing in the doorway of their dormitory.

"Everyone's leaving now," she told Iris, nodding toward the common room. Iris grabbed a small box off of her nightstand, tucking it into her over the shoulder bag,  and she and Hermione exited the room.

It was the last day before the holiday break, and almost everyone was headed home to their families.

As usual, Iris and Harry were staying at Hogwarts for the holidays, but this year both Ron and Hermione were staying with them.

As Christmas was just within a few days, Hogwarts had been decorated accordingly, with thick streamers of holly and mistletoe strung along the corridors, mysterious lights shone from inside every suit of armour, and the Great Hall was filled with its usual twelve Christmas trees, glittering with golden stars.

A powerful and delicious smell of cooking pervaded the corridors, growing ever more prominent as the days passed. Iris inhaled deeply as she and Hermione strolled down to the Great Hall to watch as all the students left.

The two girls were soon in the crowd of teens, all with trunks, making their way out of the castle.

Iris and Hermione were saying goodbye to their dormmates, Lavender and Parvati when Iris heard someone call her name.

She turned around searching for the person when her eyes landed on Cedric, who stood off to the side of the room next to his trunk, smiling at her.

Her lips tugged into a grin as she gestured for him to wait a moment. Turning back to the girls, all three were giggling watching the exchange.

Iris playfully rolled her eyes and pulled Lavender and Parvati into a tight hug.

"Alright, now you two have a good holiday and I expect at least one letter each," Iris said sternly, releasing them with a smile.