Waking Up

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

Nothing.

That's what she could hear, what she could see.

Nothing.

For the longest time, she was lingering in the darkness.

She was unmoving, unconscious to both herself and the outside world.

Then, suddenly, after what seemed like forever, there was a light in the darkness.

It got closer and brighter and before she knew it, it had surrounded her and she was awake.

Her eyes lazily flickered open, adjusting to the light coming from the rising sun shining through the large windows surrounding her.

The first thing she noticed was the weight on her hand. Her eyes were drawn to her brother sitting fast asleep in a chair next to her hospital bed.

Iris recognized the room she was in, the hospital wing. She had been there many times before, mostly on account of Harry being injured in some way.

She leaned over toward her brother and gently shook him whispering his name.

He darted awake, looking around confused before he noticed her.

"Oh, you're awake! Good, don't move, I'll go get Madam Pomfrey." He darted out of his chair and swiftly moved across the hospital wing to her office.

Iris snorted at him as he ran away, "You know, I'm older!" she called after him.

He waved his hand over his shoulder in a gesture of 'whatever'.

Harry left the hospital wing to get food while Madam Pomfrey checked up on Iris.

Madam Pomfrey told her they weren't sure how she survived the fall without any internal or external damage. It was a mystery to her and all of the professors.

A short while later, Harry returned to the hospital wing, muffins in hand. Iris lit up when she saw them, blueberry muffins were her favourite.

They sat together and ate in silence with the occasional comment by Iris.

"I'm sorry you lost the match. And your broom! Oh, Harry," she said frowning.

"It's fine," he lied not making eye contact with her, looking like he wanted to cry.

Even though it was just a broomstick, Iris knew it meant a lot to Harry and symbolised much of his journey through Hogwarts.

"Hermione, Ron, and the team were here for you a while last night," he changed the subject, "I told them to go sleep though. Cedric Diggory stopped by for a bit too," he smirked at her.

Iris' eyes narrowed as her lips unwillingly turned up into a blushing smile, "Oh, shut up. Don't think I'm oblivious to your googly eyes," she threatened him.

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

"I'm sorry about your broom, Harry. There's no chance of fixing it?"

Harry shook his head in response to Lupin's question as Iris handed Hedwig the letter she had written and set the owl free of her traces.

As she soared into the sky, Iris, Harry, and Lupin watch from the lake's edge.

The three started walking through the forest, stepping over large roots in the ground and lush patches of wildflowers.

Iris turned to the older wizard, "Why do they affect us so, Professor? I mean, more than everyone else..."

"Dementors are among the foulest creatures that walk this earth. They feed on every good feeling, every happy memory, until a person is left with nothing but his or her worst experiences. You're not weak, Harry, Iris." He paused in his pace to turn to them. "The Dementors affect you two most because there are true horrors in your past. Horrors your classmates can scarcely imagine. Neither of you has anything to be ashamed of."

"I'm scared, Professor," Harry confessed.

Professor Lupin restarted his stride, "I'd consider you a fool if you weren't."

"We need to learn how to fight them. You could teach us, Professor. You made that Dementor on the train go away..." Harry asked.

"There was only one that night..."

"But you made it go away," Iris stepped in.

The professor said nothing for a beat, "I don't pretend to be an expert, Iris, Harry. But yes, I can teach you both. Perhaps after the holiday. For now, though, I need to rest. I'm feeling... tired."

Iris turned and studied Lupin's haggard face. A weary smile appeared as Hedwig's reflection glided over Lupin's irises.

She wished she could do something to help him, but Iris also knew that for some people, the best thing to do is leave them be.

"Beautiful..." Lupin commented.

The Potter twins looked up, watching Hedwig pinwheel through the blue, past the clock tower and off disappearing into the sunny expanse.

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

"This is a horrible idea."

Iris turned her head to stare at her brother.

"It's not that... okay, it's pretty bad," he admitted.

Iris' eyes returned to their steady watching of the snowfall and the stream of students walking along the path to Hogsmeade.

It had been weeks since they had talked to Lupin, and the two Potters were growing ever more anxious to learn how to repel the Dementors as the lasting sensation of impending doom seemed to hover like a veil over the population of Hogwarts.

Iris sighed and turned, placing her hand on Harry's shoulder, "Well, I have somewhere to be." She squeezed his shoulder and spoke, warning him, "Don't get caught."

The curly brunette haired girl then set off down the corridor, her hair bouncing against her back.

As she got to the end of the corridor she glanced back one last time and saw her brother looking conflicted and sad down at the shining silvery cloth flowing over his arms.

Her eyebrows furrowed as she turned back and continued walking, with thoughts of her brother in mind.

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

Hey guys!

Sorry, it's a pretty short update today, but school started this week so I've been a bit busy.

I've also started a new book! It's a random/misc. book, so if you want, I'd appreciate if you could go check it out!

If you enjoyed this chapter or this story, please hit the vote button or comment to let me know! It makes me really happy! :) :)