Truths Of A Hidden Rat

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

"He's in this room, right now!" Sirius told them, stumbling forward.

"Come out, come out, Peter!" Sirius yelled, making Iris cringe. He really did sound like a mad man, "Come out, come out and play..."

Iris' eyes shift from Ron's face to his hands, where Scabbers was twisting violently. Sirius took another step forward when--

"Expelliarmus!"

The wand flew from Sirius' hand. Everyone whirled around, finding Snape standing in the doorway, smiling smugly as he pointed his wand at Sirius.

The potions Professor eyed him, "Ah, vengeance is sweet. How I hoped I'd be the one to catch you."

"Severus--" Lupin tried, taking a step forward only for Snape to turn his wand on him.

Iris carefully took a step back from everyone, grabbing the worn-down wall to support her as her vision flashed for just a second. The dark-haired girl knew that she was losing a lot of blood and that she would need to get real medical assistance quickly.

"I told Dumbledore you were helping your old friend into the castle. And here's the proof." Snape then eyed Iris, taking note of both her bloody bandaged arm and her position on the opposite side of the room from her friends, "I would have hoped you wouldn't have dragged a young student into your charade, Lupin."

They all looked at Iris, who was clearly in a lot of pain, both physically and emotionally.

Sirius jumped in, "Brilliant! And-- as usual -- dead wrong. Now if you'll excuse us, Remus and I have a bit of unfinished business to attend to."

As her godfather approached him, Snape put his wand to Sirius' throat.

"Give me a reason. I beg you."

Remus took a panicked step toward them, "Don't be a fool, Severus!"

The greasy-haired man pressed the wand in a bit harder making Sirius shuffle back.

"He can't help it. It's habit by now," Sirius snapped back.

"Quiet, Sirius!" Professor Lupin scolded.

"Oh, quiet yourself, Remus!"

Remus gave up, pinching the bridge of his nose as he took a few steps back.

"Listen to you two," Snape drawled, "Quarrelling like an old married couple."

"Why don't you run along and play with your chemistry set," Sirus hissed.

Professor Snape's face twisted as he stared at his old enemy. Iris watched the entire exchange in fear, wishing Sirius would stop digging the hole deeper.

"Witty as ever I see," Snape spit out, "Tell me, will you be so irreverent when I turn you over to the Dementors?"

Sirius' face twitched, urging Snape to continue, "Do I detect a flicker of fear? One can only imagine what it must be like to endure the Dementor's Kiss. It's said to be unbearable to witness, but I'll do my best," he drawled, eyes hardened.