Aftermath

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

She wasn't breathing.

Iris was certain she had forgotten how as her senses blurred, so horrified by what was happening. The entire hall was so silent as they just simply stared at her, she was sure she would be able to hear a pin drop.

It seemed as though, all at once, Dumbledore, McGonagall, Snape, Moody, and the other two headmasters, plus Barty Crouch all rushed over, shuffling her towards the door. She numbly allowed them to push her into the room, hearing the sudden explosion of chatter begin as they exited the Great Hall. Dumbledore had his hands placed on both of her shoulders as he steered Iris into the smaller room. She stumbled forward, barely processing Harry standing in front of her, a look of sheer panic on his face as all the professors and headmasters began yelling back and forth behind them.

The other three champions were standing just a few steps away, looking extremely confused as their heads bounced around to the different people in the room trying to make sense of what was happening. Iris wrapped her arms around Harry tightly, clenching her eyes shut as she tried to hold back tears of fear and panic.

"Madame Maxime!" said Fleur at once, striding over to her headmistress. "Zey are saying zat zees two are to compete also!"

Madame Maxime had drawn herself up to her full, and considerable, height. The top of her handsome head brushed the candle-filled chandelier, and her gigantic black-satin bosom swelled. 

"What is ze meaning of zis, Dumbly-dorr?" she said imperiously. 

"I'd rather like to know that myself, Dumbledore," said Professor Karkaroff. He was wearing a steely smile, and his blue eyes were like chips of ice. "Three Hogwarts champions? I don't remember anyone telling me the host school is allowed three champions - or have I not read the rules carefully enough?"

He gave a short and nasty laugh.

This was exactly what Iris had feared. She wondered why it always had to be her and Harry who had horrible things happen to them. Couldn't they just have one normal uneventful year? She could feel Cedric's disbelieving gaze on her and avoided looking at him in fear of completely collapsing. Iris clung onto Harry's arm with an iron grip as the visiting headmasters expressed their great objections to the two competing.

"C'est impossible," said Madame Maxime, whose enormous hand with its many superb opals was resting upon Fleur's shoulder. "'Ogwarts cannot 'ave three champions. It is most injust."

"We were under the impression that your Age Line would keep out younger contestants, Dumbledore," said Karkaroff, his steely smile still in place, though his eyes were colder than ever. "Otherwise, we would, of course, have brought along a wider selection of candidates from our own schools. "

"It's no one's fault but Potter's, Karkaroff -- and that is, undoubtedly, Mr Potter as he so frequently drags his sister into his reckless schemes," said Snape piercingly. His black eyes were alight with malice. "Don't go blaming Dumbledore for Potter's determination to break rules. He has been crossing lines ever since he arrived here -"