Prologue

Dedicated to the Lumos Book Club

Dedicated to the Lumos Book Club. Thank you for all your help in making this chapter it's best. <3 (if you see a comment with #lumos this is why)

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

Godric's Hollow, 1981

The night was wet and windy. Children and families roamed about the streets in costume without a care in the world. 

Oblivious to what horrors were about to take place at the house down the street. 

Not knowing that within the night, two toddlers would be orphaned, and two parents would be dead.

Lily Potter was contemplating these thoughts as she stared out the shadowed window at the families laughing in the streets. Wishing desperately that her family could have been out there joining them.

She wished they could go to the park, or the grocery store, even the muggle bus stop down the road.

Of course, she didn't know at the time that she would never get to go to any of those places. That she would never get to go door to door asking for candy with her children as they grew older.

Sitting on the floor just behind Lily were her husband and two children. As she watched out the window, she was faintly listening to the chatter amongst her family.

"Alright now, Iris. I'm thinking of a colour." James prompted his daughter. She just stared up at her father with her wide doe-eyes. "C'mon, you can do it. What colour is daddy thinking of?"

Iris Potter stared only a moment longer before mumbling out, "Bwue."

James let out a giddy laugh, the game never getting old. "Yes, that's right!" he cheered, causing Iris to shriek happily, excited that she was being praised.

They played a few more rounds, James getting increasingly delighted every time his daughter successfully accessed his thoughts. After five or so minutes, Lily finally turned to watch her family with an adoring smile upon her face, nothing but love filling her gaze.

"James," she chastised playfully, bending over to brush Harry's hair back from his forehead from where he sat looking through a picture book. The young boy looked innocently up at his mother as she continued speaking, "She's not a toy."

The twenty-one-year-old wizard gave in with a sigh, "But it's just so much fun." His eyes suddenly lit up with a new idea, "We should get Padfoot over here soon and have a competition to see who can get the most answers from her."

Lily laughed, "You know he'd win."

James pouted, picking Iris up and moving her up so she was sitting on the sofa. He reached into the small bowl of lollies Remus had brought over the week before in hopes of making them feel better about being shut inside for the holiday and grabbed a grape flavoured lollipop. Unwrapping it, he handed it to Iris who eagerly took the small stick in her tiny baby hands and popped the sweet in her mouth.