Unforgivable

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

Dreams are fascinating things. Showing you things you yourself can't imagine but that are lingering just behind the veil of your subconscious. Iris had often experienced the feeling of floating within the unlimited expanse that is dreaming, as she would frequently and unintentionally seep into the thoughts and landscapes that lived within the heads of her also sleeping peers.

She had seen many things with her gift. So many of her friend's happy memories, their dreams in life, their fears. In a way, Iris enjoyed travelling around in her sleep through different dreamscapes. She enjoyed getting to know people when they weren't worried about putting up a specific front to disguise themselves in the crowd. Dreams were another way for Iris to escape, to release all her worry, doubt, fear and just simply dream.

Though not all dreams are good. Not all have the sun shining overhead and puffy white clouds in the sky. And with just a tap everything goes spiralling into darkness.

That's where Iris found herself the first night back at Hogwarts. She had drifted into the mind of one of the many Gryffindor students; One that was, unfortunately, in the middle of having a nightmare.

The teenage witch was then forcefully launched into a nightmare of her own making. One that contained scenes that replayed over and over of horrible flashes of green light, haunting laughs that echoed throughout the empty darkness, and a strange image of glowing red eyes. 

She woke up with a start, her dark curls strung wildly across her face as the last of the never-ending eerie visions burned behind her eyelids. A new, but equally horrifying, image had graced the final seconds before she woke, in the form of a snake lunging at her, fangs bared.

Iris sat up, breathing heavily as she looked around her dormitory room with wide eyes. Of course, nothing was in there other than the girls she shared the room with, but she couldn't shake the chilling feeling the nightmare had given her.

The young Gryffindor sat awake for the last few hours before the sun finally began to rise. Leaning her back against the wooden headboard of her bed, the blood-red curtains were drawn tightly closed around the perimeter of the canopy bed frame. She sat there sinking into the plush mattress, knees pulled close into her chest as she stared dully out at the red veil shielding her vision of the room. The girl twitched at every sound, scared to close her eyes for fear of what lurked behind them.

Iris eventually got out of bed, peeling the curtains back and carefully stepping out into the open. She went about her normal activities as she got ready for the first day of classes, being careful not to disturb the other sleeping girls in the dorm as it was still much earlier than the normal waking time.

Alone in the Great Hall, she watched the light begin to pour in through the large stained-glass windows around the room. Iris sat at the Gryffindor table in silence, letting her thoughts drift off as her vision became unfocused. Her face was impassive, simply blank to anyone who glanced at the young Potter as a few students started trickling in for breakfast.