The Last Happy Days

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

Over the course of the next few weeks, Iris took time to simply enjoy life. Without anything to be worrying about until May she was free to hang out with friends, go to Hogsmeade, be carefree for just a little while. The days gradually grew warmer as the season changed to Spring leaving a positive feeling spread across all the students. Everyone was feeling refreshed and excited for the last of the school year with the exception of the fifth and seventh years, who were busy preparing for their O.W.L. and N.E.W.T. exams.

The one thing that managed to bring Iris' mood down was a strange thing. She didn't understand it. Every so often, when she was particularly stressed or tired, she would notice tiny red sparks would begin to come from her hands. Iris didn't know what it was, and that scared her. They would usually go away within a couple of minutes, but Iris was extra cautious to hide them away from any prying eyes. She didn't want anyone thinking she was further off the rails than they probably already thought she was just because of what was probably just some random accidental magic.

Rita Skeeter had been relentless in her gossip column, attacking Iris and pretty much everyone else she knew with false rumours. They had learned to take it as a joke now as there wasn't much else they could do about it. The rude and lying woman had probably written entire pages by that point about Iris and Cedric's relationship. She had tried to pit the two against each other, added Harry to the mix by saying he didn't approve of Cedric and would fight him. She then went back to the star-crossed lovers story, claiming that they would do anything for each other and that the two would team up to win (which is not only ridiculous but against the rules).

On a Friday in early April, Iris was heading to her last class of the day, Divination, when she saw Cedric coming towards her from directly ahead. He wore his signature smile as he weaved through the rest of the students heading to their classes. Iris met him in the middle where he then turned around back to the direction he came, the direction Iris was headed, and took her hand, interlacing their fingers.

He walked a couple of steps with her before leaning in and saying with a mischievous smile, "Come with me."

Iris laughed, "I can't."

"And why's that?"

"Because I have class, and so do you," Iris replied with a smile, knowing that he was supposed to be on his way to Herbology.

Cedric swung their hands back and forth, his eyes twinkling brightly as he looked at her, "But the thing is, you and I don't have exams. And I really don't think you're going to be missing much in Divination."

Iris thought about it for a moment... he did have a good point.

She gave in and soon the two were laying out on the lawn in front of the Black Lake. It was the spot where they had their first kiss. She had had so many first with Cedric... part of Iris hoped he would also be her last. She assumed everyone who was in love had these thoughts, the hope that they would last forever. Cedric was absolutely perfect in her eyes, he was everything she had ever dreamed of and he gave her everything she wanted in a relationship. She couldn't think of a single reason why they would break up, and after all, if her parents could last from their teenage romance, why couldn't she?