Chapter 5: Return Home

"Haruto, Naruto" Sakura walks to the two and shakes them "hey Gaara's ok, Lady Chiyo saved him"

Naruto looks over to see Gaara alive and well, he was being embraced by his people, they were so happy he was alive.

"...that's great" Naruto grips the headband in his hand "I'm so happy.. he's alive"

"I'm sorry" Haruto speaks from beside him "I should've never gave Aika that scroll"

"You just wanted to help her get stronger" Naruto puts his hand on Haruto's shoulder "it's not your fault"

Haruto looks down "...but it is"

"Naruto"

The two boys look up to see Gaara.

"Hey Gaara" Naruto stands up with a light smile

"Thank you, for everything" Gaara puts his hand on his shoulder "I'm sorry about your sister.. Fire Cat was a very strong fighter.. I wish she didn't go down the path she chose"

"I know" Naruto looks down "and all this time I didn't know.. if I was home in the village instead of training I would've been there when she needed me"

"You can't change the past" Gaara looks up "but you can always look towards the future"

"Thanks" Naruto hugs him

Haruto looks off into the sky sadly "At least you're in a better place now Ai.. with mom and dad"

-

Itachi stands outside of the Akatsuki hideout as a colorful red bird flies towards him. He notices and holds his arm out to the bird, which it lands on.

"Ran into some trouble?" Itachi questions

The bird stares at him looking annoyed.

"You're quite small for a Phoenix" Itachi comments picking up one of it's wings

The phoenix tries to bite him put he moves his hand away in time.

"alright alright" Itachi sighs and walks into the hideout

"Yo Itachi when is-" Hidan stops and stares at the phoenix "..huh? Is that dinner!"

The Phoenix squawks at him and goes to attack him.

"Aika heel" Itachi says

The Phoenix stops and flies back to Itachi.

"That's Red!" Hidan shouts

"Why is she a bird?" Konan asks

"She's a Phoenix" Itachi replies

"Still a bird" Kisame stares at her "why.."

"It's her ultimate jutsu" Itachi explains "Phoenix-"

In a puff of smoke the phoenix turns into Aika completely healed and being held by Itachi bridal style.

"Phoenix Rebirth" Aika says "it allows me to turn into ashes and be reborn from flames in whichever form I want, I chose my animal form so that I could fly back to the base"

"...right" Itachi puts her onto her feet

"You almost got us both killed you know!" Deidara shouts from the medical room "Sasori already died we didn't need to be added to the list!"

"wait Sasori died" Aika looks at the group looking sad

"...yeah" Konan replies

"and Gaara's alive" Kisame adds "he was saved by that old women"

"Those bastards" Aika tightens her fists

"Sasori's death will not be in vein" Pain says walking into the room "we got the One Tails thanks to him.. Aika if you don't learn how to properly control your flames I won't allow you on another mission"

"Yes Pain" Aika looks down sadly

"She sure did put up a fight though" Deidara walks into the room covered in bandages "she kicked some serious ass"

"thanks Deidei" Aika smiles

"We will resume training tomorrow morning" Itachi walks past them

Aika sighs "Yes Itachi-Sensei"

"Don't worry, you didn't mess up" Itachi turns and places his hand on her head "I understand your grief facing your old team, but now isn't the time to act recklessly. You need to be ready.. it's almost time"

Aika looks at the floor sadly "right.."